Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

1 John Suggested Edits

Timchambers
This post was updated on .
1 John 1:1-3a currently reads:

1 It is of what has been in existence from the beginning, of what we have heard, of what we have seen with our eyes, of what we watched reverently and touched with our hands — it is about the Word who is the life that we are now writing. 2 That life was made visible, and we have seen it, and now bear our testimony to it, and tell you of that eternal life, which was with the Father and was made visible to us. It is of what we have seen and heard that we now tell you, so that you may have communion with us. And our communion is with the Father and with his Son, Jesus Christ.

Consider changing it to:

That which was from the beginning, that which we have heard, that which we have seen with our eyes, of what we observed and handled with our hands, concerning the Word of life - and the life was made visible and we have seen and testify and tell to you the eternal life that which was with the Father and was made visible to us - that which we have seen and heard we proclaim also to you, so that you too may have fellowship with us.  And indeed, our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son, Jesus Christ.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Re: 1 John Suggested Edits

Timchambers
1 John 1:5 currently reads in the OEB:

These, then, are the tidings that we have heard from him and now tell you — ‘God is light, and darkness has no place at all in him.’

Consider changing to:

This is the message which we have heard from him and announce to you: God is light, and there is no darkness in him at all.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Timchambers
1 John 6-10 in the OEB reads:

6 If we say that we have communion with him, and yet continue to live in the darkness, we lie, and are not living the truth. 7 But, if our lives are lived in the light, as God himself is in the light, we have communion with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin. 8 If we say that there is no sin in us, we are deceiving ourselves, and the truth has no place in us. 9 If we confess our sins, God may be trusted, in his righteousness, to forgive us our sins and purify us from all wickedness. 10 If we say that we have not sinned, we are making God a liar, and his message has no place in us.

Consider changing to:

If we say that we have fellowship with him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie, and don’t practice the truth. But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ, his Son, cleanses us from all sin. If we say, "we have no sin," then we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us the sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we haven’t sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Timchambers
1 John 2: 1-2 in the OEB currently reads:

My children, I am writing to you to keep you from sinning; but if anyone should sin, we have one who can plead for us with the Father — Jesus Christ, the righteous — 2 and he is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not for ours only, but for those of the whole world besides.

Consider changing to:

My children, I am writing to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father — Jesus Christ, the Righteous. He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Timchambers
1 John 2:3-6 currently reads:

And by this we know that we have learned to know him — by our laying his commands to heart. 4 The person who says ‘I know Jesus,’ but does not lay his commands to heart, is a liar, and the truth has no place in them; 5 but, whenever a person lays his message to heart, in that person the love of God has indeed reached its perfection. By this we know that we are in union with God — 6 He who professes to maintain union with God is himself bound to live as Christ lived.

Consider changing to:

And by this we know that we have come to know him: if we keep his commandments. The one who says, “I know him,” and yet doesn’t keep his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But whoever keeps his word, God’s love has indeed been perfected in him. This is how we know that we are in him: he who says he abides in him ought himself also to walk as he walked.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Timchambers
1 John 2:7-11 in the OEB currently reads:

Dear friends, it is no new command that I am writing to you, but an old command, which you have had from the first. That old command is the message to which you listened. 8 Yet, in a way, it is a new command that I am writing to you — manifest in Christ's life and in your own — for the darkness is passing away and the true light is already shining. 9 The person who says that they are in the light, and yet hates others, is in the darkness even now. 10 The person who loves others is always in the light, and there is nothing within them to cause them to stumble; 11 while the person who hates others is in the darkness, and is living in the darkness, and does not know where they are going, because the darkness prevents them seeing.

Consider changing to:

Dear friends, it is no new command that I am writing to you, but an old command, which you have had from the beginning. The old commandment is the message which you heard. Yet, in a way, it is a new command that I am writing to you - which is true in him and in you - for the darkness is passing away and the true light is already shining.  The one who loves his brother or sister lives in the light, and there is nothing within them to cause them to stumble. The one who hates his brother or sister is in the darkness, and walks in the darkness, and does not know where they are going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Timchambers
1 John 2:12-14 in the OEB reads:

I am writing, God's children, to you, because your sins have been forgiven you for Christ's sake. 13 I am writing, adults in the faith, to you, because you have learned to know him who has been from the beginning. I write, young ones in the faith, to you, because you are strong, and God's message is always in your hearts, and you have conquered the evil one.

Consider changing to:

I am writing to you, little children, because your sins have been forgiven because of his name. I am writing to you, fathers, because you have come to know him who has been from the beginning. I am writing you, young men, because you are strong, and the word of God lives in you, you have overcome the evil one.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Timchambers
1 John 2:15-17 in the OEB reads:

Do not love the world or what the world can offer. When anyone loves the world, there is no love for the Father in them; 16 for all that the world can offer — the gratification of the earthly nature, the gratification of the eye, the pretentious life — belongs, not to the Father, but to the world. 17 And the world, and all that it gratifies, is passing away, but they who do God's will remains for ever.

Consider changing to this. AND NOTE: I'm translating "Kosmos" to "world order" rather than just to "world." Love to hear if folks consider this a good translation.

Do not love the world order, or the things in the world order. When anyone loves the world system, the love of the Father is not in them. 16 for all that is inherent in the world order — the desires of the flesh, the desires of the eyes, and the empty boasting of one's earthly life — belongs, not to the Father, but to the world system. 17 And the world order, and it's desires are passing away, but the one who does God's lives for the ages.
Reply | Threaded
|  

russellallen
Administrator
I totally get the impulse to do better than 'world'! 

'world order' for me is too close to 'new world order' though - if you google that phrase you'll see it's mostly used by crazies. :( And the straight translation of 'world' is pretty much universal in the mainstream translations.

If I were doing a very loose translation I might go for 'the way things are' :)

The UBS Handbook says:

The world. This term occurs frequently in the New Testament in general and in the Johannine writings in particular (103 occurrences out of a total of 183). It is used with various shades of meaning, five of which are the following.
(1) In what may be called its central meaning the world refers to the (orderly) universe, the system of the physical creation, see for example, Acts 17.24. 
        (2) Taken in a more restricted, locative sense the word means “the earth,” as the habitation of mankind, and the place of man’s organization of creation. It is the place where God is at work, sending his Son (1 John 4.9) and where men should serve God (4.17), but where evil forces may be at work too (4.1, 3; 2 John 1.7). 
        (3) In several cases the world is used with a personal reference, meaning mankind as a whole, as in 1 John 2.2; 4.14, cp. also John 3.16. 
        (4) Used metaphorically the word refers to man’s organization of creation, or to his way of life with its possessions, joys, desires, cares and sufferings (3.17).
In these four occurrences the term can be said to be essentially neutral in connotation. But the world can occur also (5) with a negative connotation, standing for all who are, or for all that is, in enmity with God and the believers (see 2.15–17; 3.1, 13; 4.4f, 19). Taken thus it refers to the world and the persons in it as an evil system, as a way of life that is in the power of the evil one and, therefore, is friendly to the false teachers. Then the opposition between world and “God” is parallel to that between “darkness” and “light,” cp. 1.5.
In practical usage the various meanings mentioned are, of course, not so neatly divided as is done here, for there is a certain inner unity among them. Where one of them is predominant, one or more of the other meanings may not be absent, though only in undertone. Translators, therefore, have here an especially delicate task. On the one hand, they must find a rendering that brings out, or at least does not obscure, the specific shade of meaning relevant in the context. On the other hand, they should try to preserve the inner unity of the term, or at least not to differentiate more than is required by idiom.
In order to reach this end it is sometimes possible to use one term, qualifying it according to context. One may have, for example, ‘the earth’ for meaning (2) and, metaphorically used, for meaning (4); ‘those who are in the earth’ for (3); ‘the evil earth,’ or ‘the evil persons in (or things in, or way of life on) the earth’ for (5). Another way to the same end, less explicit than the one just mentioned, is to say for meaning (5), ‘this (here) earth’ (tacitly implying a contrast to another and better one). In some languages it is the derived adjective that has the unfavorable connotation rather than the noun, for example, English “worldly”; the same is true of some Indonesian languages.
To preserve in this way the inner unity of the term is not always possible, however. In some receptor languages, for instance, one simply must use distinctive terms for meaning (2) and meaning (4). In another there exists no word for “world,” “earth,” or even for a wide stretch of land. Therefore, world in the sense of “mankind,” meaning (3), had to be rendered as, ‘people from everywhere.’
The things in the world, or ‘whatever is in the world,’ ‘whatever the world offers,’ ‘things of men’ (a common expression in the language concerned for ‘pagan way of life’); or, making explicit the negative connotation, ‘doing like bad people do.’

:) Russell

On 2 Feb 2014, at 1:52 pm, Timchambers [via Open English Bible] <[hidden email]> wrote:

1 John 2:15-17 in the OEB reads:

Do not love the world or what the world can offer. When anyone loves the world, there is no love for the Father in them; 16 for all that the world can offer — the gratification of the earthly nature, the gratification of the eye, the pretentious life — belongs, not to the Father, but to the world. 17 And the world, and all that it gratifies, is passing away, but they who do God's will remains for ever.

Consider changing to this. AND NOTE: I'm translating "Kosmos" to "world order" rather than just to "world." Love to hear if folks consider this a good translation.

Do not love the world order, or the things in the world order. When anyone loves the world system, the love of the Father is not in them. 16 for all that is inherent in the world order — the desires of the flesh, the desires of the eyes, and the empty boasting of one's earthly life — belongs, not to the Father, but to the world system. 17 And the world order, and it's desires are passing away, but the one who does God's lives for the ages.

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.openenglishbible.org/1-John-Suggested-Edits-tp253p264.html
To start a new topic under Open English Bible, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Open English Bible, click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|  

Timchambers
All great points. I was trying to find something that got the nuances that seem to be there in the term "kosmos" but not there in the word "world."

http://www.biblestudytools.com/lexicons/greek/nas/kosmos.html

And I do agree that "new world order" has a lot of crazy connotations. I do like this:

"The things in the world, or ‘whatever is in the world,’ ‘whatever the world offers,’ ‘things of men’ (a common expression in the language concerned for ‘pagan way of life’); or, making explicit the negative connotation, ‘doing like bad people do.’"

One other idea, which is what The Voice New Testament used:

"Don’t fall in love with this corrupt world or worship the things it can offer. Those who love its corrupt ways don’t have the Father’s love living within them. 16 All the things the world can offer to you—the allure of pleasure, the passion to have things, and the pompous sense of superiority—do not come from the Father. These are the rotten fruits of this world. 17 This corrupt world is already wasting away, as are its selfish desires. But the person really doing God’s will—that person will never cease to be."

Just more food for thought....
Reply | Threaded
|  

Brian J. Henry
Ehhh, I think The Voice's translation comes off way more gnostic than intended. I do wish there was a way to capture the nuance well, but I'm not sure there is. I've seen "human culture" suggested before but I don't think that's it either.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Timchambers
Hmmm. I can see what you mean about this feeling gnostic as in the physical reality is corrupt.

More food for thought is this Greek to English definition of "kosmos:"

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.04.0057%3Aentry%3Dko%2Fsmos

And here are more I found ln an online article. Note: I don't know this author so we might double check, but here is what he said:

According to Strong's Concordance, it means, "An apt and harmonious arrangement or constitution, order, government. The inhabitants of the earth, men, the human race. The ungodly multitude; the whole mass of men alienated from God, and therefore hostile to the cause of Christ. World affairs, the aggregate of things earthly. The whole circle of earthly goods, endowments riches, advantages, pleasures, etc., which although hollow and frail and fleeting, stir desire, seduce from God and are obstacles to the cause of Christ."

According to E.W. Bullinger's A Critical Lexicon and Concordance to the English and Greek New Testament, it additionally means, "Thus kosmos denotes the order of the world, the ordered universe, the ordered entirety of God's creation, but considered as separated from God. The abode of humanity. That order of things in which humanity moves, or of which man is the center."

According to Vines Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words, it additionally means, "inalienation from and opposition to God."

According to Vincent's Word Studies of the New Testament, kosmos means, "The order of things which is alienated from God, as manifested in and by the human race: humanity as alienated from God, and acting in opposition to Him. The sum-total of human life in the ordered universe, considered apart from, and alienated from, and hostile to God, and of the earthly things which seduce from God."

And according to Webster's New Twentieth Century Dictionary, Unabridged (1969), p. 2108. , it means, "any sphere of human activity; ... the inhabitants of the earth in general; humanity; mankind; the human race; that which pertains to the earth or to the present state of existence only; the concerns of this life as distinguished from those of the life to come; that portion of mankind which is devoted to worldly or secular affairs."

And this:

New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology: vol.1, p.524-525, states the meaning of “kosmos in the inclusive sense of “world” under three connotations: (1) the universe, (2) as earth, and (3) humanity, “the place and object of God’s saving activity” (p.524).  Respecting the Gospel of John in particular, it states that the predominant meaning of kosmos is “the world of men…under different aspects.”  
Reply | Threaded
|  

Timchambers
Even more here:
http://www.preceptaustin.org/james_44_commentary.htm#k

and here:
https://bible.org/article/out-world-experience-look-%CE%BA%E1%BD%B9%CF%83%CE%BC%CE%BF%CF%82-johannine-literature

I can't vouch for either author, but I'll look over their thoughts later and see if it brings up any ideas.

Right now I'm wondering if something like "earthly system" of "human system" isn't the best...maybe that captures the idea of the greek word but stays away from some of the connotations of the phrase "World Order."
Reply | Threaded
|  

Timchambers
1 John 2: 18-21 in the OEB currently reads

My children, these are the last days. You were told that an antichrist was coming; and many antichrists have already arisen. By that we know that these are the last days. 19 From us, it is true, they went out, but they had never belonged to us; for, if they had belonged to us, they would have remained among us. They left us that it might be made clear that they do not, any of them, belong to us. 20 You, however, have received consecration from the Holy One. 21 You all know — But I am not writing to you because you do not know the truth, but because you do know it, and because nothing false can come from the truth.

Consider changing to:

Dear children, it is last hour. And as you have heard that an antichrist was coming, even now many antichrists have already come. We know by this that this is the last hour. They went out from us - but they had never belonged to us. For if they had belonged to us, they would have remained among us. They went out from us that it might be made clear that they do not, any of them, belong to us. You, however, have an anointing from the Holy One and all of you know the truth.  I am not writing to you because you do not know the truth, but because you do know it, and because no lie can come from the truth.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Timchambers
1 John 2:22-24 in the OEB reads:

22 Who is a liar, if not the person who rejects the truth that Jesus is the Christ? That person is the antichrist — the person who rejects the Father and the Son. 23 No one who rejects the Son has found the Father; the person who acknowledges the Son has found the Father also.

Consider changing to:

22 Who is a liar, if not the one who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This one is the antichrist — the one who rejects the Father and the Son.  No one who rejects the Son has the Father. The one who confesses the Son has the Father also.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Timchambers
1 John 2:24-26 in the OEB currently reads:

As for you, let what you were told at the first be always in your thoughts. If, then, what you were told at the first is always in your thoughts, you yourselves will maintain your union both with the Son and with the Father. 25 And this is what he himself promised us — eternal life!  26 In writing this to you, I have in mind those who are trying to mislead you.

Consider changing to:

As for you, what you have heard from the first remain in you. If what you heard at the first remains in you, you also will remain with the Son and with the Father.  And this is what he himself promised us — eternal life! I write these things to you about those who are attempting to deceive you.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Timchambers
1 John 2: 27-29 in the OEB reads:

But you — you still retain in your hearts that consecration which you received from the Christ, and are not in need of anyone to teach you; but, since his consecration of you teaches you about everything, and since it is a real consecration, and no lie, then, as it has taught you, maintain your union with him. 28 Yes, my children, maintain your union with Christ, so that, whenever he appears, our confidence may not fail us, and we may not be ashamed to meet him at his coming. 29 Knowing him to be righteous, you realize that everyone who lives righteously has received the new life from him.

Consider changing to:

But as for you — the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about everything -- and is true, and is not a lie—just as it has taught you: abide in him.

So now, my dear children, remain in him, so that, when he appears, our confidence may not fail us, and we may not shrink away in shame of him at his coming. If you know him to be righteous, you realize that everyone who does what is right has been born of him.

Reply | Threaded
|  

Timchambers
1 John 3:1-3 in the OEB reads:

Think what love the Father has shown us in allowing us to be called ‘children of God’; as indeed we are. The reason why the world does not know us is that it has not learned to know him. 2 Dear friends, we are God's children now; what we will be has not yet been revealed. What we do know is that, when it is revealed, we will be like Christ; because we will see him as he is. 3 And everyone who has this hope with regard to Christ tries to make themselves pure — as Christ is pure.

Consider changing to:

See what kind of love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called ‘children of God’ -- and indeed we are! For this reason, the world does not know us because it did not know him. Dear friends, we are God's children now, and what we will be has not yet been revealed. What we do know is that when he appears, we will be like him, because we will see him as he is. And everyone who has this hope set on him purifies himself, even as he is pure.

Reply | Threaded
|  

Timchambers
1 John 3:4-9 in the OEB reads:

Everyone who lives sinfully is living in violation of Law. Sin is violation of Law. 5 And you know that Christ appeared to take away our sins; and in him sin has no place. 6 No one who maintains union with him lives in sin; no one who lives in sin has ever really seen him or learned to know him. 7 My children, do not let anyone mislead you. The person who lives righteously is righteous — as Christ is righteous. 8 The person who lives sinfully belongs to the devil, for the devil has sinned from the first. It was for this that the Son of God appeared, that he might undo the devil's work. 9 No one who has received the new life from God lives sinfully, because the nature of God dwells within them; and they cannot live in sin, because they have received the new life from God.

Consider changing to:

Everyone who sins also commits lawlessness. Sin is lawlessness. You know that he appeared in order to take away sins, and in him there is no sin. No one who remains in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him. Little children, do not let anyone mislead you. The one who does what is right is righteous, just as He is righteous. The one who sins is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. It was for this end the Son of God was revealed, that he might destroy the works of the devil.  Everyone who has been born of God does not sin, because his seed remains in him, and he is not able to go on sinning, because he has been born of God.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Timchambers
1 John 3:10-12 in the OEB reads:

By this the children of God are distinguished from the children of the devil — No one who lives unrighteously comes from God, and especially the person who does not love others. 11 For these are the tidings that we heard from the first — that we are to love one another. 12 We must not be like Cain, who belonged to the evil one and killed his brother. And why did he kill him? It was because his life was bad while his brother's was good.

Consider changing to:

By this it is made clear who are the children of God and who are the children of the devil — whoever does not do what is right is not of God, nor is the one who does not love his brother. For this is the message that we heard from the first — that we are to love one another. We must not be like Cain, who was of the evil one and murdered his brother. And why did he murder him? Because his works were evil, and his brother’s were righteous.