Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

2nd Peter Suggested Edits

Timchambers
This post was updated on .
2 Peter 1:1-2 currently reads:

To those to whom, through the justice of our God and Savior Jesus Christ, there has been granted faith equally privileged with our own, from Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ.
2 May blessing and peace be yours in ever increasing measure, as you advance in the knowledge of God and of Jesus, our Lord.

Consider changing to:

From Simeon Peter, a slave and apostle of Jesus Christ.  To those who have been granted with us - through the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ - a faith as precious as ours. May grace and peace be fully multiplied in you, through the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Re: 2nd Peter Suggested Edits

Timchambers
2nd Peter 3-4 currently reads:

3 For his divine power has given us everything that is needful for a life of piety, as we advance in the knowledge of him who called us by a glorious manifestation of his goodness. 4 For it was through this that he gave us what we prize as the greatest of his promises, that through them you might participate in the divine nature, now that you have fled from the corruption in the world, resulting from human passions.

Consider changing to:

His divine power has freely given us everything we need for a life of godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by His glory and might. 4 By these he has  freely given us his very great and precious promises, that through them you might escape the corruption that is in this world - caused by sinful desires - and share in the divine nature.

Reply | Threaded
|  

Timchambers
2 Peter 1:5-9 currently reads:

Yes, and for this reason do your best to supplement your faith by goodness, goodness by knowledge, 6 knowledge by self-control, self-control by endurance, endurance by piety, 7 piety by mutual affection, and mutual affection by love. 8 For, when these virtues are yours, in increasing measure, they prevent your being indifferent to, or destitute of, a fuller knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 Surely the person who has not these virtues is shortsighted even to blindness, and has chosen to forget that they have been purified from their sins of the past!

Consider changing to:

Yes, and for this very reason make every effort to add to your faith with goodness, goodness with knowledge, 6 knowledge with self-control, self-control with endurance, endurance with godliness, 7 godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection, with love. 8 For if you posses these qualities, in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective or unfruitful in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9. For the one who does not have these qualities is blind and shortsighted - having forgotten that they were cleansed from past sins. 
Reply | Threaded
|  

Timchambers
2nd Peter 1:10-11 currently reads in the OEB:

Therefore, friends, do your best to put God's call and selection of you beyond all doubt; for, if you do this, you will never fall. 11 For in this way you will be given a triumphant admission into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Consider changing to:

Therefore, brothers and sisters, use your greatest effort to confirm your being called and chosen, for if you do this, you will never fall. 11 For in this way entrance into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, will be richly provided for you.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Timchambers
2nd Peter 1:12-16 currently reads:

I will, therefore, always be ready to remind you of all this, even though you know it and are firmly established in the truth that you now hold. 13 But I think it my duty, as long as I live in this ‘tent,’ to rouse you by awakening memories of the past; 14 for I know that the time for this ‘tent’ of mine to be put away is soon coming, as our Lord Jesus Christ himself assured me. 15 So I will do my best to enable you, at any time after my departure, to call these truths to mind.

Consider changing to:

Therefore, I always intend to keep reminding you of all this, even though you know it and are firmly established in the truth you now hold. 13 It is the right thing for me to do, as long as I live in this body, to stir you up by reminding you of the past, for I know that the time for this body of mine will be put away, as our Lord Jesus Christ has made clear to me. 15. And I will also make every effort that you may be able to recall these things after I am gone.

Reply | Threaded
|  

Timchambers
In the OEB 2 Peter 1:16-18 reads:

For we were not following cleverly devised stories when we told you of the coming in power of our Lord Jesus Christ, but we had been eye-witnesses of his majesty. 17 For he received honor and glory from God the Father, when from the glory of the Divine Majesty there were borne to his ears words such as these — ‘This is my dearly loved son, who brings me great joy.’ 18 These were the words that we heard, borne to our ears from heaven, when we were with him on that sacred mountain.  19 And still stronger is the assurance that we have in the teaching of the prophets

Consider changing to:

For we did not follow cleverly crafted stories when we told you of the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ in power - but we were eye-witnesses of his majesty. 17 For he received honor and glory from God the Father, when a voice came to him from the Divine Majesty saying: "This is my Son, My Beloved, with whom my favor rests." 18 And we heard this voice when it came from heaven while we were with Him on the holy mountain. 19 So we have the prophetic word more strongly confirmed.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Timchambers
In the OEB 1 Peter 1: 20-21 currently reads:

But first be assured of this: — There is no prophetic teaching found in scripture that can be interpreted by a person's unaided reason; 21 for no prophetic teaching ever came in the old days at the mere wish of people, but people, moved by the Holy Spirit, spoke direct from God.

Consider changing to:

Firstly, know this: no prophecy in scripture comes from the prophet's own interpretation, 21 for prophecy never had it's origin in the will of mankind, but from people, moved by the Holy Spirit who spoke from God.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Timchambers
2nd Peter 2:1-3 reads in the OEB:

But there were false prophets also in the nation, just as there will be false teachers among you, people who will secretly introduce ruinous divisions, disowning even the Lord who bought them, and bringing speedy ruin on themselves. 2 There will be many, too, who will follow their licentious courses, and cause the way of the truth to be maligned. 3 In their covetousness they will try to make you a source of profit by their fabrications; but for a long time past their sentence has not been standing idle, nor their ruin slumbering. 

Consider changing to:

But there were false prophets also among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you, people who will bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Master who brought them, and bringing swift destruction on themselves. 2 Many will follow their immoral behavior, and cause the way of the truth to be maligned. 3 In their greed they will exploit you with their deceptive words. Thier condemnation - pronounced long ago - has not been idle. Nor has their destruction been asleep.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Timchambers
2 Pet 2:4-10 reads in the OEB:

4 Remember, God did not spare angels when they sinned, but sent them down to Tartarus, and consigned them to caverns of darkness, to be kept under guard for judgment. 5 Nor did he spare the world of old; though he preserved Noah, the preacher of righteousness, and seven others, when he brought a flood on the godless world. 6 He condemned the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah and reduced them to ashes, holding them up as a warning to the godless of what was in store for them; 7 but he rescued righteous Lot, whose heart was vexed by the wanton licentiousness of his neighbors; 8 for, seeing and hearing what he did, as he lived his righteous life among them, day after day, Lot's righteous soul was tortured by their wicked doings. The Lord, therefore, knows how to deliver the pious from temptation, and to keep the wicked, who are even now suffering punishment, in readiness for ‘the day of judgment’ — 10 especially those who, following the promptings of their lower nature, indulge their polluting passions and despise all control.

Consider changing to:

4 Remember, if God did not spare angels when they sinned, sending them to Tartarus, into chains of darkness to be held for judgement, 5 and if he did not spare the ancient world - though he preserved Noah, the preacher of righteousness, and seven others - when he brought a flood on the ungodly;  
6 and if by reducing the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah to ashes and condemned them to extinction, making them an example to those who were going to be ungodly; 7 and if He rescued righteous Lot, distressed by the unrestrained lifestyle of lawless men 8 - for as he lived among them, that righteous man tormented day by day with the lawless deeds he saw and heard — 9 then the Lord knows how to rescue the godly from trials and to keep the unrighteous under guard until the day of judgment, 10 especially those who in polluting desires of the flesh and despise authority.

Reply | Threaded
|  

Timchambers
2nd Peter 2:10-13 reads in the OEB:

Audacious and self-willed, they feel no awe of the celestial beings, maligning them, 11 even where angels, though excelling them in strength and power, do not bring against them a malignant charge before the Lord. 12 These people, however, like animals without reason, intended by nature to be caught and killed — these people, I say, malign those of whom they know nothing, and will assuredly perish through their own corruption, 13 suffering themselves, as the penalty for the suffering that they have inflicted. They think that pleasure consists in the self-indulgence of the moment.

Consider changing to:

These presumptuous and arrogant people are not afraid to slander celestial beings, 11 even where angels, though greater than them in strength and power, do not bring a slanderous judgement against them before the Lord.  12 But these people - like animals without reason, intended by nature to be caught and killed - are ignorant of those whom they slander, and in their destroying, they too will be destroyed, suffering harm as a penalty of the harm they have inflicted. They consider it a pleasure to carouse in the daytime, and are spots and blemishes, delighting in their deceitful ways, while they feast with you.

Reply | Threaded
|  

Timchambers
2nd Pet 2:14-18 read in the OEB:

14 They have eyes only for adulteresses, eyes never tired of sin; they entice weak souls; their minds are trained to covet; they live under a curse. 15 Leaving the straight road, they have gone astray and followed in the steps of Balaam, the son of Beor, who set his heart on the reward for wrong-doing, 16 but was rebuked for his offense. A dumb animal spoke with a human voice, and checked the prophet's madness. 17 These people are like springs without water, or mists driven before a gale; and for them the blackest darkness has been reserved. 18 With boastful and foolish talk, they appeal to the passions of people's lower nature, and, by their profligacy, entice those who are just escaping from the people who live such misguided lives.

Consider changing to:

14 They have eyes full of adultery, that never stop sinning. They entice unstable people, and have hearts trained in greed.  An accursed children! Forsaking the right way, they have gone astray and followed the way of Balaam, son of Beor, who loved the reward for doing wrong, 16 but was rebuked for his transgression: A dumb animal spoke with a human voice, and checked the prophet's madness.
17 These people are like springs without water, or mists driven before a gale. The depths of darkness has been reserved for them. For by speaking pompous but empty words, they seduce with the lusts of the flesh and debauchery,  those who are barely escaping from those who live in error.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Timchambers
2nd Pet 2:19-22 reads in the OEB:

They promise them freedom, while they themselves are slaves to corrupt habits; for a person is the slave of anything to which they give way. 20 If, after having escaped the polluting influences of the world, through knowing our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, people are again entangled in them, and give way to them, their last state has become worse than their first. 21 It would, indeed, have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after knowing it, to turn away from the holy command delivered to them. 22 In their case is seen the truth of the proverb — ‘A dog returns to what it has vomited’ and ‘A sow after washing to her wallowing-place in the mud.’

Consider changing to:

They promise them freedom, while they themselves are slaves to corruption - for whatever a person is overcome by to that they are enslaved. 20 If, after having escaped the impurity of the world, through knowing our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, people are again entangled in them, and overcome their last state has become worse than their first. 21 It would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after knowing it, to turn away from the holy command delivered to them.
22 What happened to them is seen the truth of the proverb — ‘A dog returns to it's vomit’ and ‘A sow after washing itself, returns to wallow in the mud.’

Reply | Threaded
|  

Timchambers
2nd Peter 3:1-3 reads in the OEB:

This, dear friends, is my second letter to you. In both of them I have tried, by appealing to your remembrance, to arouse your better feelings. 2 I want you to recall what was foretold by the holy prophets, as well as the command of our Lord and Savior given to you through your apostles.

Consider changing to:

This is now, dear friends, my second letter to you. In both of them, I have tried to inspire a pure way of thinking with a reminder. 2 I want you to recall what was foretold by the holy prophets, as well as the command of our Lord and Savior given to you through your apostles.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Timchambers
2nd Pet 3:3-7 read in the OEB:

First be assured of this, that, as the age draws to an end, scoffers, led by their own passions, 4 will come and ask scoffingly — ‘Where is his promised coming? Ever since our ancestors passed to their rest, everything remains just as it was when the world was first created!’ 5 For they willfully shut their eyes to the fact that long ago the heavens existed; and the earth, also — formed out of water and by the action of water, by the fiat of God; 6 and that by the same means the world which then existed was destroyed in a deluge of water. 7 But the present heavens and earth, by the same fiat, have been reserved for fire, and are being kept for the day of the judgment and destruction of the godless.

Consider changing to:

First be aware of this, that in these last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their evil desires,
4 saying: ‘Where is his promised coming? Ever since our fathers fell asleep, everything remains just as it has since the beginning of creation!’  5 For they willfully ignore that by the word of God the heavens existed long ago, and that the earth was formed out of water and by water. And by these waters the world of that time was destroyed, deluged by this water. But by the same word, the current heavens and earth are being prepared for fire - kept for the day of judgement and destruction of the ungodly.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Timchambers
2nd Pet 3:8-9 read in the OEB:

But you, dear friends, must never shut your eyes to the fact that, to the Lord, one day is the same as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. 9 The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise, as some count slowness; but he is forbearing with you, as it is not his will that any of you should perish, but that all should be brought to repentance.

Consider changing to:

Dear friends, do not let this one thing escape you: one day with the Lord is like a thousand years, and a thousand years like one day. 9 The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise, as some consider slowness, but he is patient with you, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Timchambers
This post was updated on .
2nd Peter 3:10-13 read in the OEB:

The day of the Lord will come like a thief; and on that day the heavens will pass away with a crash, the elements will be burnt up and dissolved, and the earth and all that is in it will be disclosed. 11 Now, since all these things are in the process of dissolution, think what you yourselves ought to be — what holy and pious lives you ought to lead, 12 while you wait for the coming of the day of God and strive to make it come soon * Or "and desire its coming" . At its coming the heavens will be dissolved in fire, and the elements melted by heat, 13 but we look for ‘new heavens and a new earth,’ where righteousness will have its home, in fulfillment of the promise of God.

Consider changing to:

The day of the Lord will come like a thief - and on that day the heavens will vanish with a rushing noise, the fundamentals things will melt with heat, and the earth and all it's works will be exposed as they are. 11 Now, since all these things are going to be undone in this way, what kind of people ought you to be? You should live holy godly lives, 12 waiting for and desire the coming of the day. *Or some manuscripts: "and speed the coming."  That day the heavens will be set on fire and dissolved and the fundamental things melted by heat, 13 but according to His promise, we look for ‘new heavens and a new earth,’ where justice will be at home.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Timchambers
2nd Pet 3:14-17 in the OEB reads:

Therefore, dear friends, in expectation of these things, make every effort to be found by him spotless, blameless, and at peace. 15 Regard our Lord's forbearance as your one hope of salvation. This is what our dear friend Paul wrote to you, with the wisdom that God gave him. 16 It is the same in all his letters, when he speaks in them about these subjects. There are some things in them difficult to understand, which untaught and weak people distort, just as they do all other writings, to their own ruin.

Consider changing to:

Therefore, dear friends, since you await these things, strive to be found without spot or blemish, and at peace with Him. 15 Regard our Lord's patience as salvation, just as our dear friend Paul wrote to you, with the wisdom given him. 16 He does this in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters - some of which are difficult to understand, that the ignorant and unstable distort to their own destruction, just as they do to other Scripture.

Reply | Threaded
|  

Timchambers
2nd Pet 3:17-18 in the OEB reads:

17 You must, therefore, dear friends, now that you know this beforehand, be on your guard against being led away by the errors of reckless people, and so lapsing from your present steadfastness; 18 and advance in the love and knowledge of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. All glory be to him now and for ever.

Consider changing to:

17 Therefore, dear friends, since you know this in advance, be on your guard against being led away by the errors of these lawless people, and fall from your present secure position. 18 Instead, grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. All glory be to Him now and to the day of eternity.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Timchambers
Done with 2nd Peter!

(Onward to another short letter! Not sure which one yet....)
Reply | Threaded
|  

Coburn
In reply to this post by Timchambers
I have often wondered if slave is the most appropriate word to use for δοῦλος. My recollections from Ancient & Medieval History class were that "slaves" were some 35% of the population. In sociological terms they were equivalent to blue-collar workers today (with exceptions). We have also developed some very negative connotations around the word because of our own history with chattel slavery. Unfortunately, there is not a good equivalent that I'm aware of. Employee is anachronistic and too limiting. But I do go back to the Hebrew, where עבד is the only word available to describe a person who does not work for themself. Perhaps a worker for Jesus Christ?