23 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 2nd Peter Suggested Edits

Timchambers
A fair question:

The OEB used "servant."

I suppose you could also include "worker" - but all of the above do lose some sense of not having ownership rights of yourself. Maybe the slightly less commonly used "bondservant"?
Reply | Threaded
|

russellallen
Administrator
I think context probably matters - taking 2 Pe 1:1, when Peter says he is a δοῦλος of Jesus Christ, he is not saying that he is compelled by force to obey Jesus against his will, that Jesus is oppressing him and trapping him in a tyrannical social relationship. I’m put in mind of John 15:15 where Jesus says to the disciples (including Peter): I do not call you δούλους any longer  …  but I have called you friends . Peter is surely describing a willing desire to serve Jesus, to carry out his wishes with joy out of love. I don’t think that ‘slave’ communicates that well in English to modern audiences.

Russell

On 16 Dec 2015, at 3:46 AM, Timchambers [via Open English Bible] <[hidden email]> wrote:

A fair question:

The OEB used "servant."

I suppose you could also include "worker" - but all of the above do lose some sense of not having ownership rights of yourself. Maybe the slightly less commonly used "bondservant"?

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.openenglishbible.org/2nd-Peter-Suggested-Edits-tp291p530.html
To start a new topic under Open English Bible, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Open English Bible, click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

Timchambers
Very good points on context....and all good points.  Perhaps then "servant" would be best?

Whatever the choice, maybe we should also look and see where else in the NT the word is used and consider changing it similarly.

- Tim