classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Any interest in using LaTex

LyleWilson
I'm a software developer and I'm writing a book of fiction, and I wrote a program that translates a txt book into LaTex, (the high-quality typesetting language).  

I have no idea if you all know about LaTex, but I think the Bible in LaTex would make producing the different formats much easier.  I think a study Bible would be even more compelling, (although likely more difficult to create).
Reply | Threaded
|  

Re: Any interest in using LaTex

Israel Rhoden
I don't understand how a markup language designed especially for bible publishing (usfm) could ever be considered inferior to a generalised markup language designed for general publishing? The tools and processes built up around the process of bible publishing using usfm are large and varied.

I would be interested to hear what makes you feel latex would be better than usfm?
Reply | Threaded
|  

Israel Rhoden
The full list of standardised markup facilities offered by usfm (and used by most bible translation projects), is available here:

http://paratext.org/about/usfm#usfmDocumentation
Reply | Threaded
|  

russellallen
Administrator
In reply to this post by LyleWilson
Hi Lyle,
LaTeX is pretty cool. In fact we already use it (specifically a near cousin - ConTeXt) when generating our PDF from our USFM. It’s just that it is automated so you only see the end result!
Cheers, Russell

On 3 Sep 2016, at 1:48 PM, LyleWilson [via Open English Bible] <[hidden email]> wrote:

I'm a software developer and I'm writing a book of fiction, and I wrote a program that translates a txt book into LaTex, (the high-quality typesetting language).  

I have no idea if you all know about LaTex, but I think the Bible in LaTex would make producing the different formats much easier.  I think a study Bible would be even more compelling, (although likely more difficult to create).

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.openenglishbible.org/Any-interest-in-using-LaTex-tp649.html
To start a new topic under Open English Bible, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Open English Bible, click here.
NAML