8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Big list of misc corrections from Mark Strauss' critique of the ESV

Brian J. Henry
This post was updated on .
Strauss is on the NIV translation team. The paper can be found here.
I went through and compared all the verses to ours (save for the run on sentences examples and the few OT notes; perhaps another day). Anything that caught my eye in the surrounding verses, particularly anything Nyland noted in the Source NT, I looked over as well.

Mark

6.31 ..for there were so many people coming and going that they <had not time even>[did not even have time] to eat.
12.18 Next came some Sadducees — the men who maintain that there is no resurrection. Their question was this — 19 “Teacher, in our scriptures Moses decreed that, should a man's brother die, leaving a widow but no child, the man <should take the widow as his wife,>[must marry the widow] and raise up a family for his brother. 20 There were once seven brothers; <of whom> [T]he <eldest took a wife>[first married a woman], but [he] died and left no family; 21 <and> the second <took her>[married the widow], and died without family; <and so did> the third [did so as well]. 22 All <the> seven died and left no family. The woman herself died last of all. 23 At the resurrection whose wife will she be, all seven brothers having <had her as their wife> [married her]?”
Matthew
1.22 All this happened <in fulfillment of these words of> [to fulfill what was spoken by] the Lord <in>[through] the prophet<, where he says —>[:]
Strauss’ note deals with “___ the prophet,” where ESV uses “by,” he says it’s more natural to say “through,” and our “in” is just kinda strange.
I also think “to fulfill/would be fulfilled” is better than “in fulfillment.”
CEB: Now all of this took place so that what the Lord had spoken through the prophet would be fulfilled:
NET: This all happened so that what was spoken by the Lord through the prophet would be fulfilled:
NIV: All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet:
NRSV:  All this took place to fulfill what had been spoken by the Lord through the prophet:
See also: Matthew 1.22; 2.5; 2.15; 2.17; 2.23; 3.3; 4.14; 8.17; 12.17; 13.35; 21.4; 26.56
7.13 Go in by the small gate<. Broad> [, because wide] and spacious is the road that leads to destruction, and <those who go in by it are many;>[and there are many who take it.] 14 <for>[But] small is the gate<,> and narrow the road<,> that leads to life, and <those who find it are few>[there are few who find it].
8.28 On getting to the other side — the <country>[region] of the Gadarenes — Jesus met two men
12.34 For what fills the heart will rise to the lips. 35 A good person, from <his>[the] good <stores>[stored up in him], produces good things; while an evil person, from <his>[the] evil <stores>[stored up in him], produces evil things.
14.5 he was afraid of the people, because they <looked on>[accepted] John  as a prophet.
14.10 He sent [orders] and <beheaded>[had] John [beheaded] in the prison<;>[,] and his head was brought on a dish and given to the girl
Matthew 22.36 “Teacher, <what>[which] is the great[est] commandment in the Law?” 37 His answer was: “‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the great[est] <first> commandment[, and the first]. 39 The second, which is like it, is this — ‘You must love your neighbor as you love yourself.’
23.32 <Fill up the measure of your ancestor's guilt.>¹ 33 You snakes[!] <and>[You] children of [vipers]<snakes!>
32’s phrasing is definitely comparable to the NRSV, ESV, etc. but it’s noted as being “biblish,” and I agree, the meaning isn’t very clear.
For 33, I feel like “vipers” makes the insult less awkward, and reflects the different word usage. (See also Matt. 3.7; 12.34; Luke 3.7)
¹REB: Go on then, finish off what your ancestors began.
CEB: Go ahead, complete what your ancestors did.
NIV: Go ahead, then, and complete what your ancestors started!
24.30 Then <will appear> the sign of the Son of Man [will appear] in the heavens<;>[,] and all the peoples of the earth will mourn<,> when they see [‘]the Son of Man coming on the clouds of the heavens,’ with power and great glory<;>[.] 31 <and> [H]e will send [out] his angels, with a great trumpet [blast], and they will gather his people around him from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.
Luke
1.15 he <will>[must] not drink any wine or <strong drink>[NASB, CEB: liquor HCSB: beer],
2.20 And the shepherds went back, giving glory and praise to God for all that they had heard and seen, as [everything was/it was all just as they had been told.]<it had been told them>.
CEB: ...and seen. Everything happened just as they had been told.
NET: ...and seen; everything was just as they had been told.
NIV: ...and seen, which were just as they had been told.
7.1 When Jesus had <brought to a conclusion all that he had then>[concluded all that he] had to say to the people, he entered Capernaum.
6.45 A good person, from the good <stores of>[stored up in] their heart, brings out what is good; while [an evil] person, from <their bad stores>[the evil stored up], brings out what is <bad>[evil]. For what fills someone's heart will rise to their lips.
12.51 Do you think that I <am here to give>[have come to bring] peace on earth? No, I tell you, but to cause division
20.27 Presently there came up some Sadducees, who maintain that there is no resurrection. Their question was this — 28 “Teacher, Moses laid down for us in his writings that —
   ‘Should a man's married brother die, and should he be childless, the man should take the widow as his wife, and raise up a family for his brother.’
29 Well, there were once seven brothers; of whom the <eldest>[first], after <taking a wife>[marrying a woman], died childless. 30 The second and third brothers both <took her as their wife>[married her]; 31 and so, too, did all seven — [all] dying without children. 32 The woman herself was the last to die. 33 About the woman, then — at the resurrection, whose wife is she to be, all seven brothers having <had her as their wife>[married her]?”
22.28 You are the men who have stood by me in my trials<;>[,] 29 <and,> [so] just as my Father has assigned me a kingdom, I assign you places,¹ 30 so that you may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and be seated on twelve thrones as judges of the twelve tribes of Israel.
31 Simon! Simon! <l>[L]isten. Satan [has] demanded [you all,] <leave> to sift you all like wheat², 32 but I prayed for you, Simon, that your faith should not fail. And <you,> when you have returned <to me, are to>[, you must] strengthen the others.”
¹ NET:  Thus I grant to you a kingdom, just as my Father granted to me,
Nyland: I certainly leave you the Realm in my will, just as my Father left it to me.
CEB: And I confer royal power on you just as my Father granted royal power to me.
NIV:  And I confer on you a kingdom, just as my Father conferred one on me,
² Wright: The satan demanded to have you. He wanted to shake you into bits like wheat.
Nyland: He wants to shake the stuffing out of you! (please no.)
NET Note:  sn Satan has demanded permission to put them to the test. The idiom “sift (someone) like wheat” is similar to the English idiom “to pick (someone) apart.” The pronoun you is implied. (I wouldn’t mind adopting “to pick you apart”)
22.47 While he was still speaking, a crowd appeared <in sight>, led by the man called Judas, who was one of the Twelve.
23.12 And Herod and Pilate became friends that very day, for before that <there had been ill-will between them>[they had been enemies].
23.40 But the other rebuked him<.>[, saying] “Haven't you<,” he said, “> any fear of God, now that you are under the same sentence? 41 <And> [W]e [have been condemned] justly <so>, for we are only [getting what we deserve]<reaping our deserts>, but this man has not done anything wrong.
24.17 “What <is this that you are saying to each other>[are you discussing so intently] as you walk along?”
24.29  “Stay with us,” they said, “<for it is>[it’s] <getting towards>[nearly] evening, and the sun <in>[is] already low.”
24.37 In their terror and alarm they thought they saw a <spirit>[ghost], … 39 ...Feel me, and look at me, for a <spirit has not>[ghost does not have] flesh and bones, as you see that I have.”
“has not” > “does not have” throughout the whole text maybe?
24.46 “Scripture says that the Christ <should>[would] suffer, and <that he should>[would] rise again from the dead on the third day, 47 and that repentance for [the] forgiveness of sins <should>[would] be proclaimed on his authority to all the nations
Acts
1.17 for he was one of <our number>[us] and <had his part allotted him>[shared] in this work of ours.”
1.21 Therefore, <from among>[we must choose one of] the men who <have>[has] been with us <all> the [whole] time that <Jesus, our Master, went in and out> [the Lord Jesus was living] among us — 22 From his baptism by John <down to that>[until the] day <on which> he was taken from us — <someone>[one of them] must be found to join us as a witness of his resurrection.”
1.26 Then they drew lots between them[,] and<,> the lot <having fallen on>[fell to] Matthias[; so] he was added to <the number of> the eleven apostles.
2.3 Then <there appeared tongues of what seemed to be flame, separating,> [they saw what seemed to be tongues of fire, which separated] so that one settled on each of them[.] 4 <and>[T]hey were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and began to speak <with strange>[in other] ‘tongues’ as the Spirit <prompted their utterances>.
Do we want to keep “tongues” instead of “languages” (and why is tongues in little quotes?)
On that last one:
NIV, NET: enabled them
NRSV: gave them ability
Wright: gave them the words to say
Nyland: began to act on them to make them speak (going by her note on this, it seems Wright captures the same idea in better English)
7.3 ‘Leave your country and your <kindred>[relatives], and come into the <country>[land] that I will show you.’
8.23 for I see that you <have fallen into the>[are full of] ‘<bitterness of> [bitter] envy’ and [in] the ‘<fetters of sin>[chains of injustice/wickedness/unrighteousness].’”
NET: For I see that you are bitterly envious and in bondage to sin (noting that some translations don’t mention envy and thus miss the point)
NRSV:  For I see that you are in the gall of bitterness and the chains of wickedness
CEB: for I see that your bitterness has poisoned you and evil has you in chains.
NIV: For I see that you are full of bitterness and captive to sin.
NLT: for I can see that you are full of bitter jealousy and are held captive by sin.
I’m fond of “chains of ___” because it recalls the verse in Isaiah 58 to me (uses the same greek phrase in the LXX too) but bondage/captive might work better.
9.28 After that, Saul [stayed with them and moved about freely] <remained> in Jerusalem<, in close intercourse with the apostles; and he spoke>[speaking] fearlessly in the name of the Lord, 29 talking and arguing with the Jews of foreign birth
11.30 And <this they did>[they did so], sending it to the officers of the church <by the hands of>[with] Barnabas and Saul.
14.15 “Friends, why are you doing this?” they shouted. 15 “We are only people like yourselves, and we have come with the good news that you should turn away from these <follies>[worthless things] to a living God,
15.18 Says the Lord, as he does these things, <foreknown from of old.>[known from ages past/from long ago]’
Romans
8.21 yet not without the hope that some day Nature, also, will be set free from <enslavement>[its slavery] to decay<,> and <will attain to the freedom which will mark the glory>[“will obtain”/”be brought into” the glorious freedom] of the children of God.
8.37 Yet <amid>[in] all these things we <more than conquer>[are more than victorious] through him who loved us!
Nyland: ”are super-abundantly victorious” “There is no English equivalent. It carries the sense that we are completely over the top and far more than merely victorious.”
NET: have complete victory
HCSB: are more than victorious
CEB: win a sweeping victory
Wright: are completely victorious
11.6 But if in love, then <no longer>[it cannot be] as a result of obedience. Otherwise love would cease to be love.
 12.11 never <flagging> [lacking] in zeal (diligence?); fervent in spirit; serving the <Master>[Lord];
14.11 For scripture says — ‘“As surely as I live,” says the Lord, “every knee will <bend>[bow] before me; and every tongue will <make acknowledgment> [give praise] to God.”’
1st Corinthians
 9.16 If I tell the good news, I have nothing to boast of, for I <can but do so>[am compelled to do so]. Woe is me if I do not tell it!
NRSV:  for an obligation is laid on me
CEB: since I’m obligated to do it
NIV: since I am compelled to preach
NET: because I am compelled to do this
15.41 There is a beauty of the sun, and a beauty of the moon, and a beauty of the stars; <for>[and] even star differs from star in beauty.
Some translation go with the phrasing ‘one kind of beauty for/of the sun, and another for/of the moon...’ and others go with ‘the sun has one kind of beauty, and the moon has another...’ Strauss suggests the latter.

2nd Corinthians
Or, Wright uses “when death was being distributed” “when the spirit is being distributed” “distributing condemnation” and “distributing vindication,” though I prefer 'righteousness' over 'vindication'.

Ephesians
2.10 For we are God's handiwork, created, by our union with Christ Jesus, for <the>[a life of] good actions[,] <in doing> which God <had pre-arranged that we should spend our lives> [prepared beforehand for us to do] .
Nyland: to do the good things God prepared before hand for us to do, and to live how he wanted us to live.
CEB: Instead, we are God’s accomplishment, created in Christ Jesus to do good things. God planned for these good things to be the way that we live our lives.
NET: For we are his workmanship, having been created in Christ Jesus for good works that God prepared beforehand so we may do them.
GNT: God has made us what we are, and in our union with Christ Jesus he has created us for a life of good deeds, which he has already prepared for us to do.
NRSV: For we are what he has made us, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand to be our way of life.
6.18 Pray in [the S]pirit at all times. Be intent on this, with unwearying perseverance and supplication for all Christ's people[.]< —> 19 <And on my behalf>[Pray for me] also, so that when I begin to speak, [God will give me the right] words <may be given me, so >[to say —] that I may fearlessly make known the inmost truth of the good news, 20 <on behalf of>[for] which I am an ambassador <—> in chains! Pray that, in telling it, I may speak fearlessly as I ought.
Philippians
4.11 Do not think that I am saying this <under the pressure of want>[because I am in need]. For I<, however I am placed,> have learned [how] to be <independent of>[self-sufficient in any] circumstance<s>. 12 I know how to <face humble circumstances>[do without], and I know how to <face prosperity>[cope with plenty]. In<to all and every human experience>[any and all circumstances] I have <been initiated — into plenty and hunger, into prosperity and want> [learned the secret of being full and of going hungry, of having plenty and of going without].
1Thess.
4.11 Make it your ambition to live <quietly>[peacefully], and to attend to your own business, and to work <with your hands> [hard], as we directed you; 12 so that your conduct may <win respect from>[be respected by] those outside the church, and <that you may not want for anything>[so that you will not be dependent on anybody].
2 Thess.
3.8 nor did we eat anyone's <bread>[food] without paying for it.
1st Timothy
4.6 <Put all this before>[Point all these things out to] the <followers>(? this sounds strange), and you will be a good servant of Christ Jesus,
or, LEB:  By teaching these things to the brothers
NLT: If you explain these things to the brothers and sisters
6.5 these corrupt-minded people who have lost all hold on the truth, and who think of <religion>[godliness] only as a source of [financial] gain. 6 <And>[Of course, godliness is] a great source of gain <religion is>, when <it brings contentment with it>[combined with self-sufficiency]!
Nyland uses “independent wealth” and gives an example of a city that can survive on its own. Lattimore uses “self-sufficiency” which captures Nyland’s sense better I think. see also philippians 4.11 above. Both are traditionally content/contentment.

1st Peter
3.2 as they <watch your submissive and blameless conduct.>[see the purity and reverence of your lives.]
Reply | Threaded
|  

Re: Big list of misc corrections from Mark Strauss' critique of the ESV

Timchambers
What a great list, thanks....
Reply | Threaded
|  

Brian J. Henry
In reply to this post by Brian J. Henry
Actually, in regards to 2 Corinthians 3.9, thinking about it a bit more (and not late at night), I'd side with righteousness over vindication. I edited the original post to reflect that, but if I'm not mistaken edits are not sent out on the mailing list? just figured I'd note that for the sake of Russell who I think only gets the emails (and any others as well!). a minor thing, but meh.
Reply | Threaded
|  

russellallen
Administrator
Do you mean that you edited it over forum.selflanguage.org? I don't think that those changes are sent to the mailing list.

Btw, I've just imported a whole bunch of your comments on James, and have also changed the text to consistently use 'elder' as you suggested.

Cheers, Russell

On 08/10/2013, at 4:23 PM, Brian J. Henry [via Open English Bible] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Actually, in regards to 2 Corinthians 3.9, thinking about it a bit more (and not late at night), I'd side with righteousness over vindication. I edited the original post to reflect that, but if I'm not mistaken edits are not sent out on the mailing list? just figured I'd note that for the sake of Russell who I think only gets the emails (and any others as well!). a minor thing, but meh.

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.openenglishbible.org/Big-list-of-misc-corrections-from-Mark-Strauss-critique-of-the-ESV-tp190p195.html
To start a new topic under Open English Bible, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Open English Bible, click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|  

Brian J. Henry
russellallen wrote
Do you mean that you edited it over forum.selflanguage.org? I don't think that those changes are sent to the mailing list.

Btw, I've just imported a whole bunch of your comments on James, and have also changed the text to consistently use 'elder' as you suggested.

Cheers, Russell
forum.openenglishbible.org, not selflanguage, but yeah ;) I mainly use the forum.

Great!
Reply | Threaded
|  

Coburn
This post was updated on .
On Rm 8.37 "more than victorious" etc.

We have expressions for this in English (the CEV uses "sweeping"). "Win an overwhelming (or lopsided) victory," or "Run away with the victory," or "win by a landslide."
Reply | Threaded
|  

Coburn
I'm concerned as I see the options for Eph 2.10, because there are two schools of thought evident in them. One follows the CEV/NRSV and says that God planned that our lives should be occupied with the habitual doing of any number of good works, and the other, exemplified by the NET/GNT, implies that God, in eternity past, has prepared specific good deeds for us to accomplish. The OEB seems headed in the second direction.

Is there a way to use good English style and be as ambiguous as the Greek? I don't think this verse clearly teaches determinism (especially not against the full counsel of Scripture; see Mt 7.21-23), but I hate to see God's daily providence left out of the picture, either (Mt 25.31ff). It almost seems like this cryptic statement isn't saying either one (Eccl 7.18).

So you won't think I'm making an idle comment, the Greek roughly says, "which God prepared ahead of time as those things which we should walk in." The word "prepared" implies that specific deeds are envisioned for us, while "walk in [them]" is a Hebraism meaning "do habitually" or "choose to cultivate." I'm stuck at this point, wondering in what sense God has prepared these things, and how that preparation meshes with the idea of ongoing habits and a growth (2 Peter 1:5-8) in good living. I'll defer to wiser heads.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Coburn
Brian J. Henry wrote
8.23 for I see that you <have fallen into the>[are full of] ‘<bitterness of> [bitter] envy’ and [in] the ‘<fetters of sin>[chains of injustice/wickedness/unrighteousness].’”
NET: For I see that you are bitterly envious and in bondage to sin (noting that some translations don’t mention envy and thus miss the point).
As usual I beg to differ with the NET notes. Envy is probably in view, but I think more significant is the tradition from Deuteronomy 29, which reads:
18 Beware lest there be among you a man or woman or clan or tribe whose heart is turning away today from the LORD our God to go and serve the gods of those nations. Beware lest there be among you a root bearing poisonous and bitter fruit, 19 one who, when he hears the words of this sworn covenant, blesses himself in his heart, saying, 'I shall be safe, though I walk in the stubbornness of my heart.' This will lead to the sweeping away of moist and dry alike.
The current translation choice is for I see that you have fallen into the ‘bitterness of envy’ and the ‘fetters of sin.’ Peter is thinking theologically. He is telling Simon that his repentance and baptism have not been genuine. He has gone through the water, but hasn't committed himself to change. He has seen the Holy Spirit come down on others, but has not surrendered to the loving energy of the Lord. In simple words, he is still thinking and acting as before.

I prefer something like, for I see that you are still steeped in bitterness and bound by unrighteousness. I'm translating bile of bitterness as steeped in bitterness, thinking of the way spilled bile contaminates meat, but I kind of cringe, because I have to admit that's not a literal translation.