Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Friday update

russellallen
Administrator
Hey all,

I thought I would give a short update of what’s been happening in the world of the OEB this week :)

This past week, I have been working on checking the version of 1 Samuel in the history branch of our Github tree. I have checked and done minor fixes/better wording up to 1 Sam 19. The good news is that our source (Charles Foster Kent’s scholarly translation) is holding up quite well and major revisions don’t seem necessary. Once I’ve gone through, I’ll go back and mark US/Cth spelling variations and I think the book will then be pretty much done. The history books are mostly fairly straight forward narrative, which is nice.

Meanwhile, Tim Chambers has been continuing to work through 2 Peter, and is up to 2 Peter 3:13. 

In other news, there is a pair of new freely available translations available. At unfoldingWorld.org there is the Unlocked Literal Bible (which is a new revision of the ASV) and the Unlocked Dynamic Bible (which is Ellis Deibler’s Translation for Translators relicensed). They are both under CC-BY-SA licences. I asked them about it on another mailing list and a spokesperson said that "neither the ULB or the UDB is targeted at English speakers.  If we (English speakers) find them useful, great, but the real purpose is to enable mother tongue translators to begin translating into their own language with unencumbered texts.  This dovetails into our Gateway Languages strategy that you can read more about at https://unfoldingword.org/gateway/.

Ellis Dreibler’s translation is pretty nice - though I think it is still unfinished - so it’s nice to see it under a more liberal licence.

I hope you are all well,
Russell

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Friday update

Timchambers
Great update! I hope to finish 2nd Peter work this weekend, and then move on to another shorter NT letter... Thanks for the update, Russell!
... Tim