Miscellaneous Fixes of Terms and Phrases: "Soul"

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Miscellaneous Fixes of Terms and Phrases: "Soul" – Curious is if the greek word "psyche" is best translated to the current English word "Soul"? For instance, in 3rd John 1: ...
I did a quick skim of N.T. Wright's translation against the ESV for psyche, and he mostly agrees with the ESV where it translates it soul. He does...
Thanks Brian: Interesting. I'm pretty sure how the modern use of the word "soul" is not a great match for "psyche" but not sur...
I agree, it's not ideal, but I think there's enough of a movement to get back to defining "soul" in a more Christian/Jewish understandin...
Just bumped into one more article looking at the idea and the translation of "pshyche" in the NT by RJS at the Jesus creed blog. The who...
Brian: Good thoughts, and thanks for that from Wright. Might be good as we look at the OEB current use of "soul" on a verse by verse ...
Yeah definitely, and yep, they're from the Kingdom NT.
I am seeing some thoughts that maybe "inner person" or "inner man" or "inner woman" depending on the context might b...
As long as we don't give the impression that the soul is some little person living within us... On 18/09/2013, at 11:51 AM, "Timchambers...
Russel wrote: "As long as we don't give the impression that the soul is some little person living within us..." A very fair point....
So now that I have the downloadable D3, i've searched and listed out every use of the word "soul" in the OEB. So i'll add each verse in,...
A few other sites and blogs I've seen looking at this as food for thought: http://betterbibles.com/2008/06/01/my-soul/ https://theway21stcen...
And one last site looking at this question, this one a Seventh Day Adventist Bible Researchers site: The word “soul” is not the best tran...
Of course that opinion may be conditioned by SDA theology. 'Soul sleeping' isn't compatible with a conscious, eternal soul.
Yes a very good point. Was looking to find various different theological Christian voices on the question....Will keep looking for even more, too....