New Release: 2013.11

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New Release: 2013.11

russellallen
Administrator
Hi guys,

I've pushed out the new release to the front page. Next release is due in mid January to get us back on track (unless we find something truly horrible in which case I'll push out a quick fix*), so please all feel free to hassle me to make sure I get it done :)

I've got a backlog of comments from you all to work through, as well as some changes that Hal Taussig's team did for their A New New Testament revision which we should consider.

We're getting more interest from various people, and our facebook likes are up to over 600.

We should probably think about slowly increasing our publicity. Any suggestions where we should be letting people know about the OEB?

Best wishes,
Russell

* the benchmark for errors is the Wicked Bible: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wicked_Bible  :)

x
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Release: 2013.11

Brian J. Henry
Hoorah!
I'd like to see what Taussig's team changed, yeah.

I think I emailed you and suggested Reddit a while back; do an Ask Me Anything regarding the project on /r/Christianity or something.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Release: 2013.11

russellallen
Administrator
I'll try to do up a summary the changes that they did.  Some of the big ones probably are outside the OEB's scope, but worth thinking about of course! 

I haven't hung around /r/Christianity much - are they reasonable people? Some of the subreddits are a bit feral for my liking.

Russell


On 18 Nov 2013, at 12:04 pm, Brian J. Henry [via Open English Bible] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hoorah!
I'd like to see what Taussig's team changed, yeah.

I think I emailed you and suggested Reddit a while back; do an Ask Me Anything regarding the project on /r/Christianity or something.


If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.openenglishbible.org/New-Release-2013-11-tp214p215.html
To start a new topic under Open English Bible, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Open English Bible, click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Release: 2013.11

Brian J. Henry
Definitely. I know you wouldn't expect it from Reddit given its reputation, but yeah, it's a great community. Overall it's a bit liberal leaning, but there's Christians of all stripes/denominations there, including a fair amount of clergy, as well as some secular religious studies majors and people of other faiths who're just generally interested. (71,000 subscribers~) Most of the main religious subreddits on there are fairly friendly actually.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Release: 2013.11

cassowary+oeb
In reply to this post by russellallen
Not an instruction to adultery—merely an accedintal slander—but I think
I found a missing "not"!

Matthew 23:30:

'and say “Had we been living in the days of our ancestors, we should
have taken part in their murder of the prophets!'

Swapping "should" and "would" according to the person is not part of my
lect so it might be that I completely misunderstand what it's trying to
say, but it looks like it's equivalent to "we would have taken part in
the murder of the prophets", whereas every other bible I've looked at
has always said:—"we wouldn't've taken part in the murder of the
prophets" or "never would've" or somesuch.

Thanks
--
Tristan.

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013, at 01:44 AM, russellallen [via Open English Bible]
wrote:
>


        Hi guys,

>
>
> I've pushed out the new release to the front page. Next release is due in mid January to get us back on track (unless we find something truly horrible in which case I'll push out a quick fix*), so please all feel free to hassle me to make sure I get it done :)
>
>
> I've got a backlog of comments from you all to work through, as well as some changes that Hal Taussig's team did for their A New New Testament revision which we should consider.
>
>
> We're getting more interest from various people, and our facebook likes are up to over 600.
>
>
> We should probably think about slowly increasing our publicity. Any suggestions where we should be letting people know about the OEB?
>
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Russell
>
>
> * the benchmark for errors is the Wicked Bible: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wicked_Bible  :)
>
>
> x

       
       
       
       
>
       
>
       
       
> If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
>
                http://forum.openenglishbible.org/New-Release-2013-11-tp214.html
       
>
                To start a new topic under Open English Bible, email
                [hidden email]
>
                To unsubscribe from Open English Bible, click
                here[
>
                NAML[
http://forum.openenglishbible.org/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml]
       
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Release: 2013.11

russellallen
Administrator
It's almost reverse slander - the missing negation undermines Jesus' accusation against the Pharisees that they thought themselves so righteous that they would not have rejected the prophets had they lived in that time.

I've traced this back to a transcription error - the original TCNT correctly translates:

".. we should have taken *no* part in the murder ..."

Swapping 'would' for 'should' is better for me as well and so it reads:

Had we been living in the days of our ancestors, we would have taken no part in their murder of the Prophets!

Maybe improvement:

If we had been living in the days of our ancestors, we would never have taken part in their murder of the prophets!


Russell
Open English Bible - Making Pharisees Look Good Since 2010



On 23 Nov 2013, at 1:57 pm, cassowary+oeb [via Open English Bible] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Not an instruction to adultery—merely an accedintal slander—but I think
I found a missing "not"!

Matthew 23:30:

'and say “Had we been living in the days of our ancestors, we should
have taken part in their murder of the prophets!'

Swapping "should" and "would" according to the person is not part of my
lect so it might be that I completely misunderstand what it's trying to
say, but it looks like it's equivalent to "we would have taken part in
the murder of the prophets", whereas every other bible I've looked at
has always said:—"we wouldn't've taken part in the murder of the
prophets" or "never would've" or somesuch.

Thanks
--
Tristan.

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013, at 01:44 AM, russellallen [via Open English Bible]
wrote:
>


        Hi guys,

>
>
> I've pushed out the new release to the front page. Next release is due in mid January to get us back on track (unless we find something truly horrible in which case I'll push out a quick fix*), so please all feel free to hassle me to make sure I get it done :)
>
>
> I've got a backlog of comments from you all to work through, as well as some changes that Hal Taussig's team did for their A New New Testament revision which we should consider.
>
>
> We're getting more interest from various people, and our facebook likes are up to over 600.
>
>
> We should probably think about slowly increasing our publicity. Any suggestions where we should be letting people know about the OEB?
>
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Russell
>
>
> * the benchmark for errors is the Wicked Bible: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wicked_Bible  :)
>
>
> x
       
       
       
       
>
       
>
       
       
> If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
>
                http://forum.openenglishbible.org/New-Release-2013-11-tp214.html
       
>
                To start a new topic under Open English Bible, email
                <a href="x-msg://2/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=219&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external">[hidden email]
>
                To unsubscribe from Open English Bible, click
                here[
>
                NAML[
http://forum.openenglishbible.org/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml]
       



If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.openenglishbible.org/New-Release-2013-11-tp214p219.html
To start a new topic under Open English Bible, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Open English Bible, click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Release: 2013.11

Timchambers
In reply to this post by russellallen
Excellent news.... look forward to helping for January's release, and will think about ways to up the publicity for this effort.