Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

OEB web build

russellallen
Administrator
Hi y'all.

I've rebuilt the OEB development build. IE was going into quirks mode which destroyed all the layout. Hopefully that is now fixed. I've also dropped the font size a little and gone back to Verdana.

Still a work in progress, but let me know your thoughts.

I need a better way of navigating than a big list of books. Any suggestions?

Also, html page per chapter vs html page per book. Ideas?

Russell

On 20/08/2013, at 8:09 AM, Brian J. Henry [via Open English Bible] <[hidden email]> wrote:

"he has scattered the self-satisfied proud" sounds good to me.

Also, I liked the old style of the HTML pages a lot more to be honest.

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.openenglishbible.org/OEB-2013-D3-Third-development-build-tp141p142.html
To start a new topic under Open English Bible, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Open English Bible, click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|  

Re: OEB web build

Brian J. Henry
Ahhh, okay, that makes sense. At first I didn't notice the verse numbering is on the side now. I like that a lot.
I'm glad we went back to Verdana, sans-serif is more readable, especially on the sidebar, and dropping the font size was good too.

I checked on multiple platforms. Chrome 28/Firefox 23/IE10 on Windows 8 (1440x900); Chrome 29 on Ubuntu 12.10, (1440x900); Dolphin on Kindle Fire HD 7" (1280x800); Dolphin on Droid Charge (480x800).

I think the sidebar is fine for desktops, though the font size needs to be bigger. I kinda liked it with a colored background too, it helped distinguish it a bit, and I preferred the green links over the dark red as well. Bumping the font size up to 80%, adding the old background color, and a padding of ".3rem 3rem .3rem 1em;" looks good, but it would need to be moved over to the left more.
It's impossible to do anything with it without zooming in on mobile though, and clicking on the correct link can be difficult. Would it be possible to render a second navigation in a drop down menu? You could use a @media query to hide the main nav bar and show the drop down menu after a certain screen size. Alternatively, I know there's a few small scripts that can transform <ul>s to drop down menus for mobile.

The body text needs to be bigger on both the kindle and phone. Doing the font sizes in rems would work well I think. 1.125rem for desktop, 1.21rem for mobile?
I think the width of the text should be increased slightly on all platforms as well. For tablets in portrait mode, and phones, it should just extend all the way (with a little padding of course). The verse numbers I guess need to be more relative to the text for that to work out, maybe something like
        .chapter, .verse{
                display: block;
                float: left;
                width: 4.15rem;
                margin-left: -96px;
                margin-right: 0;
                font-size: 80%;
                font-family: Verdana, sans-serif;
                text-align: right;}
The chapter numbers for the psalms are pretty far above where the chapter starts. Mark 4 and 5 suffer the same problem. Is the <hr> (that isn't really an <hr>, just a bunch of underscores) throwing it off somehow?

I'm in favor of an html page per book.

Another thing, mostly off-topic but something I thought of looking at the sidebar, with links to OT books we don't have yet: Are there plans, long term, to do the deuterocanonical books as well? A roadmap of goals might be cool.
Reply | Threaded
|  

russellallen
Administrator
OK, I'm still working on the chapter and verse markers and on the phone friendly version, but I've uploaded a new version with a popup navigation when you hover or click on the green OEB

http://openenglishbible.org/oeb/2013.D3/b001.html as before.

What you you think about this as a navigation menu? 

Russell

On 23/08/2013, at 11:53 AM, Brian J. Henry [via Open English Bible] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Ahhh, okay, that makes sense. At first I didn't notice the verse numbering is on the side now. I like that a lot.
I'm glad we went back to Verdana, sans-serif is more readable, especially on the sidebar, and dropping the font size was good too.

I checked on multiple platforms. Chrome 28/Firefox 23/IE10 on Windows 8 (1440x900); Chrome 29 on Ubuntu 12.10, (1440x900); Dolphin on Kindle Fire HD 7" (1280x800); Dolphin on Droid Charge (480x800).

I think the sidebar is fine for desktops, though the font size needs to be bigger. I kinda liked it with a colored background too, it helped distinguish it a bit, and I preferred the green links over the dark red as well. Bumping the font size up to 80%, adding the old background color, and a padding of ".3rem 3rem .3rem 1em;" looks good, but it would need to be moved over to the left more.
It's impossible to do anything with it without zooming in on mobile though, and clicking on the correct link can be difficult. Would it be possible to render a second navigation in a drop down menu? You could use a @media query to hide the main nav bar and show the drop down menu after a certain screen size. Alternatively, I know there's a few small scripts that can transform <ul>s to drop down menus for mobile.

The body text needs to be bigger on both the kindle and phone. Doing the font sizes in rems would work well I think. 1.125rem for desktop, 1.21rem for mobile?
I think the width of the text should be increased slightly on all platforms as well. For tablets in portrait mode, and phones, it should just extend all the way (with a little padding of course). The verse numbers I guess need to be more relative to the text for that to work out, maybe something like
        .chapter, .verse{
                display: block;
                float: left;
                width: 4.15rem;
                margin-left: -96px;
                margin-right: 0;
                font-size: 80%;
                font-family: Verdana, sans-serif;
                text-align: right;}
The chapter numbers for the psalms are pretty far above where the chapter starts. Mark 4 and 5 suffer the same problem. Is the <hr> (that isn't really an <hr>, just a bunch of underscores) throwing it off somehow?

I'm in favor of an html page per book.

Another thing, mostly off-topic but something I thought of looking at the sidebar, with links to OT books we don't have yet: Are there plans, long term, to do the deuterocanonical books as well? A roadmap of goals might be cool.

http://forum.openenglishbible.org/OEB-web-build-tp144p145.html
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|  

Brian J. Henry
russellallen wrote
I've uploaded a new version with a popup navigation when you hover or click on the green OEB

http://openenglishbible.org/oeb/2013.D3/b001.html as before.

What you you think about this as a navigation menu?

Russell
I visited the entry page (http://openenglishbible.org/oeb/2013.D3/) before I saw this post, and was confused for a moment haha. I didn't realize it was hover at first either. It looks nice though.

Maybe it's just me, but I think I'd prefer the list going down and then continuing on the next column, rather than going across and continuing on the next row. Something seems off about it.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Timchambers
In reply to this post by russellallen
Is there a set goal or timeline for moving to D4, and moving D3 from development build into a new "release build" that is live on the site dated August 30th, 2012?
Reply | Threaded
|  

russellallen
Administrator
Well, I should integrate the existing changes which you have been giving me. This shouldn't take too long.

I think I may have been caught in a 'perfect is the enemy of good' trap and forgetting to release early and often.

Maybe we should move to a specific release timetable a la Ubuntu?

For example, every 3 months we promote the development build, gradually adding books as they reach an acceptable form?

Russell

On 18/09/2013, at 11:10 AM, Timchambers [via Open English Bible] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Is there a set goal or timeline for moving to D4, and moving D3 from development build into a new "release build" that is live on the site dated August 30th, 2012?

http://forum.openenglishbible.org/OEB-web-build-tp144p165.html
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|  

Timchambers
Russel wrote:

"Maybe we should move to a specific release timetable a la Ubuntu?
For example, every 3 months we promote the development build, gradually adding books as they reach an acceptable form?"

I like that idea a lot. And it might give us some goals to shoot for in terms of working through books that are not as far along in the process vs others that are more so.

Thanks,

Tim
Reply | Threaded
|  

russellallen
Administrator
How about:

Mid January
Mid April
Mid July
Mid October

This gives me about three weeks to get my act together this time :) and also doesn't require getting up early on 1 January!

Alternatively, we could do a Christmas and Easter release, but I can't think of suitable mid year and October-ish dates to go with them.

Russell

On 18/09/2013, at 12:15 PM, "Timchambers [via Open English Bible]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Russel wrote:

"Maybe we should move to a specific release timetable a la Ubuntu?
For example, every 3 months we promote the development build, gradually adding books as they reach an acceptable form?"

I like that idea a lot. And it might give us some goals to shoot for in terms of working through books that are not as far along in the process vs others that are more so.

Thanks,

Tim

http://forum.openenglishbible.org/OEB-web-build-tp144p170.html
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|  

Timchambers
My vote is that I like this one:

Mid January
Mid April
Mid July
Mid October

So there are time enough to get meaningful fixes into each build and enough of them to show steady progress.

Tim
Reply | Threaded
|  

Brian J. Henry
russellallen wrote
Maybe we should move to a specific release timetable a la Ubuntu?

For example, every 3 months we promote the development build, gradually adding books as they reach an acceptable form?

Russell
<3 Ubuntu. Sounds good to me! I'm in favor of the mid Jan/Apr/Jul/Oct schedule as well.