Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

On religious words

Coburn
I've begun reading through the OEB New Testament this year. I've gotten as far as Acts. It's partly for devotional purposes and partly to get myself in the frame of mind to translate things as the rest of you would do.

At the same time, our pastor is preaching through Ephesians. I read the first chapter today, and I felt like retranslating it for my own better understanding. Not necessarily making a comparison with the current OEB text, I just felt like sharing it for the encouragement of all.

Paul,
a representative of Christ Jesus,
designated by God,

to all of those set apart in Ephesus,
everyone committed to Christ Jesus.

I wish you peace and fulfilment,
Through God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

All credit is due to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
     who has affirmed us with every possible encouragement of the Spirit
from his eternal perspective in Christ,
     In the same way that we were his choice before the foundation of the universe,
that we would be set apart and above criticism as far as he is concerned.
     Out of love, he decided to adopt us through Jesus Christ as his own,
because that was his desire and plan,
     to confirm his kind reputation.
Just as he accepted us in the Beloved,
     in whom we have full freedom bought with his blood,
the pardon of our misdeeds,
     in keeping with the wealth of his kindness.
In the same way, he has enriched us with intelligence and empathy,
     taking us into his confidence, explaining his purpose,
the plan to achieve what he most desires,
     including the scope and timing of his agenda,
to head up all things in the Christ,
     both beyond the universe and upon this earth, in him.
As his, we were selected,
     just as he had proposed,
following the plan of the same one who is at work in everything
     to bring it in line with his goals and desires,
to make us examples that uphold his good reputation,
     since we were the first to commit to the Christ.
You also are his, and when you heard the honest truth,
     the announcement of your deliverance,
as soon as you trusted him, you were sealed with the Spirit of sacred promise,
     who is the down payment on your patrimony,
until what was promised is fully paid off,
     and his good reputation is confirmed.

I've put in a sort of poetic paragraphing, because the text calls for it, but I'm by no means sure of the meter.

This is an example of something that is my heart's desire and my guiding principle as I translate. It led to the insight a year or so ago that the Greek word agape, "love," was in the secular dictionary for years and years before it was ever a part of the Bible. It's not a special kind of love that God gives his children. It's just ordinary love. Which God happens to be very, very good at.

I have tried to seek out and replace all the religious words in this passage. Words that have become saltless, all of their original meaning washed out by centuries of liturgical use. Words like "grace," "praise," and "glory," and like "redemption," "predestined," and "salvation." At the same time, I've tried to make this text suitable for public reading, by paying attention to considerations of diction and discourse.

I've tried to replace them with ordinary words. In the process, I've discovered that ordinary words express the meaning of the Greek much better than the religious vocabulary we've grown accustomed to. It's almost as if Paul used ordinary words to begin with!

Comments?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: On religious words

robin
Good evening Coburn, I've just now read this, your reading of the first chapter of Ephesians ... re-translating it for your own better understanding ... Exactly! That's exactly why and what I, too, am doing with all 13 of our apostle Paul's epistles. I'm sure that I'm a tad slower at this, then you are ... taken me some 14 years to get to this point in my efforts ... but then, time flies when your focused on having fun.

As for "religious" words ... Exactly! That's exactly what I've been finding out, as well. Those words, those traditional words, as most translations would them, carry far too much religious baggage, for any layman to read them clearly, cleanly. I didn't start out to do this, particular, adjustment, it just sort of came about, as I worked through the epistles; that is, it was only after some time that I started to look back on what I'd been doing, and only then did it dawn on me that there was a method to my madness ... almost as if, there'd been something else at work, there, helping me alone, without my even realizing it ...  

I'm going to download your reading, now, and compare it with what I've compiled ... maybe we can talk about some specifics, later, but I dearly like to hear more about your ideas for this poetic paragraphing? I know that I've discovered that there's what I call "poetic structure" to Paul's letters; that is, a sort of logically balanced format, but it appears that you're perceiving something a bit more interesting than that. Like I said, I'll have to down load this, your efforts, and ponder on it for awhile ... I'm wondering if some of this poetic structuring, that we are both perceiving, in our different ways, isn't something that, at least, partly stems from the scriptures being, also, being received and retained more so in a spoken manner? They surely didn't all have a "library" of bible, back then, but just individual written copies of certain epistles, some ecclesias ("ekklEsiai") having more epistle copies than other "churches" ... hence, a dependance upon an oral tradition of passing these thoughts of Paul's on to others ... Today, we're soooooo spoiled, by having all this at our fingertips to read, whenever we want ...and to top that off, there are some of us that want to "minimize" the reading, make it simple, toss out all those unnecessary words, get it down to only it's "dynamic" shorts and socks ... Look Ma, the king has no cloths!" ...

Anyway, all that ramble aside ...Ergggg! What in the hell are these "extra words,"
in a literal translation, "extra words" that we dont really need, that we can dispense with,
as if God wasn't able to speak clearly, without rambling ... Erggggg!

Anyway, with all that aside, here's my reading of the Ephesian first chapter ... just the text, itself, but if you're interested, I can also post you my "tri-line" version, as well as an attachment of the differenat variants between the Byzantine (RP2005), and Alexandrian (GNTSBL Edition) based critical textforms ...

"Epistolary and Salutation

1:1* Paulos, an apostle of Anointed Yeshua through a will of God, unto the sanctified [ones] being in Efesos, and the trusting [ones] in Anointed Yeshua, 1:2 Grace unto you, and peace from God, Father of us and of Lord Yeshua Anointed.

Doctrinal, as to our standing

1:3 Blessable the God and Father of Yeshua Anointed, the Lord of us, the [One] to us having blessed in every spiritual blessing in the celestial [things], in Anointed; 1:4 according-as to us He had out-chosen, in Same, before a disruption of [the] regulated-world; to us, sanctified and flawless [ones] to be, down-insight of Same; in a love 1:5 for’ us, to a sonship having before-determined through Yeshua Anointed, for’ to Same according-to the delight of the will of Same; 1:6* for’ to an applause of the glory of [the] grace of Same, in which to us He had graced in the [One] having had been loved, 1:7* in Which to the from-ransom we hold, through the blood of Same; to the remission of the deviations, according-to the riches of the grace of Same, 1:8 of which [grace] for’ to us He had abounded, in every wisdom and disposition; 1:9 to the secret of the will of Same having acknowledged unto us (according-to the delight of Same, which a [delight] He had before-set in Same): 1:10* for’ a house-administration of the fulfillment of the seasons to up-sum; the all [things] in the Anointed, the [things] on the heavens, and the [things] on the earth 1:11* in Same; in Which [1:11] we were allotted, also, having been before-determined according-to a purpose of the [One], to the all [things] operating according-to the intention of the will of Same; 1:12 for’ the [matter] us to be for’ an applause of glory of Same, the [ones] having had before-expected in the Anointed.

1:13 In Which, also, you to the word of truth, to the evangel of the salvation you having heard; in Which, also, you having trusted, you were sealed unto the spirit, the sanctified [spirit] of the promise. 1:14* Which [One], a pledge He be of the allotment of ours, for’ a from-ransom of the about-procurement, for’ an applause of the glory of Same.

1:15 Through to this [matter] I-also, to the trust accorded-to you in the Lord Yeshua, and to the love, the [love] for’ all the sanctified [ones] having heard, 1:16* I cease not thanking over you, to a remembrance of you doing at the prayers of me, 1:17 that the God of Yeshua Anointed, the Lord of us, [that] the Father of the glory, to a spirit of wisdom and revelation He may give unto you, in recognition of Same; 1:18* to the eyes of the heart of yours having had been illuminated, you into the [matter] to have had perceived what a [recognition] she be, the expectation of the calling of Same, and what [be] the riches of the glory of the allotment of Same among the sanctified [ones], 1:19 and what [be] the greatness of the power of Same surpassing, for’ us, the [ones] according-to the operation of the might of the strength of Same trusting, 1:20* to which a [strength] He had operated in the Anointed, to Same having roused out of the dead [ones], and of Same He had down-sat at a right [hand] among the celestial [things], 1:21 up-over every preeminence, and authority, and power, and lordship, and of every name being named, not only in the eon, this [eon], but also in the [eon] pending; 1:22 and all [things] He had under-arranged, under the feet of Same, and to Same, [as] Head over all things, He had given unto the ecclesia, 1:23 any-which [ecclesia] she be, the body of Same, the fulfillment of the [One], to the all [things] among all [things], fulfilling."

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: On religious words

robin
In reply to this post by Coburn
(Robin)
Appears that your's was only the first 13 verses of chapter one ... so then, perhaps it's not too much space on this site, for me to, also, include, a tri-line breakdown of where, and how, I've come to my particular reading of these 13 verses ...

Maybe, just working with these 13 verses, I'll be able to come more quickly perceive to how you're finding your poetic meter ... #1 First Question: When you were eliminating "religious words," did you do so in a concordant manner; that is, when you substituted one old word, for a new one, did you do so, systematically?

1:1* Παῦλος, ἀπόστολος Ἰησοῦ χριστοῦ διὰ θελήματος θεοῦ, τοῖς ἁγίοις τοῖς οὖσιν ἐν Ἐφέσῳ καὶ πιστοῖς ἐν χριστῷ Ἰησοῦ·

paulos apostolos iEsou christou dia thelEmatos theou tois hagiois tois ousin en ephesO kai pistois en
christO iEsou

Paulos, an apostle of Yeshua Anointed through a will of God, unto the sanctified [ones] being in Efesos, and the trusting [ones] in Anointed Yeshua,

Paulos/ Paul {3972 N-NSM} an apostle {0652 N-NSM} of Yeshua/ of Jesus {2424 N-GSM} of Anointed/ of Christ {5547 N-GSM} through {1223 PREP} of a will {2307 N-GSN} of God {2316 N-GSM} unto the [ones] {3588 {T-DPM} unto sanctified [ones] {0040 A-DPM} unto the [ones] {3588 T-DPM} unto being {1510 V-PAP-DPM} in {1722 PREP} unto Efesos/ unto Ephesus {2181 N-DSF} and {2532 CONJ} unto trusting [ones] {4103 A-DPM} in {1722 PREP} unto Anointed/ unto Christ {5547 N-DSM} unto Yeshua/ unto Jesus {2424 N-DSM}

1:2 χάρις ὑμῖν καὶ εἰρήνη ἀπὸ θεοῦ πατρὸς ἡμῶν καὶ κυρίου Ἰησοῦ χριστοῦ.

charis humin kai eirEnE apo theou patros hEmOn kai kuriou iEsou christou

Grace unto you, and peace from God, Father of us and of Lord Yeshua Anointed.

a grace {5485 N-NSF} unto you {1473 P-2DP} and {2532 CONJ} a peace {1515 N-NSF} from { PREP} of God {2316 N-GSM} of Father {3962 N-GSM} of us {1473 P-1GP} and {2532 CONJ} of Lord {2962 N-GSM} of Yeshua/ of Jesus {2424 N-GSM} of Anointed/ of Christ {5547 N-GSM}

1:3 Εὐλογητὸς ὁ θεὸς καὶ πατὴρ τοῦ κυρίου ἡμῶν Ἰησοῦ χριστοῦ, ὁ εὐλογήσας ἡμᾶς ἐν πάσῃ εὐλογίᾳ
πνευματικῇ ἐν τοῖς ἐπουρανίοις ἐν χριστῷ·

eulogEtos ho theos kai patEr tou kuriou hEmOn iEsou christou ho eulogEsas hEmas en pasE eulogia pneumatikE en tois epouraniois en christO

Blessable the God and Father of Yeshua Anointed, the Lord of us, the [One] to us having blessed in every spiritual blessing in the celestial [things], in Anointed;

a blessable [One] {2128 A-NSM} the [One] {3588 T-NSM} God {2316 N-NSM} and {2532 CONJ} Father {3962 N-NSM} of the [One] {3588 T-GSM} of Lord {2962 N-GSM} of us {1473 P-1GP} of Yeshua/ of Jesus {2424 N-GSM} of Anointed/ of Christ {5547 N-GSM} the [One] {3588 T-NSM} having blessed {2127 V-AAP-NSM} to us {1473 P-1AP} in {1722 PREP} unto every [one] {3956 A-DSF} unto a blessing {2129 N-DSF} unto a spiritual [one] {4152 A-DSF} in {1722 PREP} unto the [things] {3588 T-DPN} unto celestial [things] {2032 A-DPN} in {1722 PREP} unto Anointed/ unto Christ {5547 N-DSM}

1:4 καθὼς ἐξελέξατο ἡμᾶς ἐν αὐτῷ πρὸ καταβολῆς κόσμου, εἶναι ἡμᾶς ἁγίους, καὶ ἀμώμους κατενώπιον αὐτοῦ
ἐν ἀγάπῃ,

kathOs exelexato hEmas en autO pro katabolEs kosmou einai hEmas hagious kai amOmous katenOpion autou en agapE

according-as to us He had out-chosen, in Same, before a disruption of [the] regulated-world; to us, sanctified and flawless [ones] to be, down-insight of Same; in a love

according-as {2531 ADV} He had out-chosen {1586 V-AMI-3S} to us {1473 P-1AP} in {1722 PREP} unto same [One] {0846 P-DSM} before {4253 PREP} of a disruption {2602 N-GSF} of a regulated-world {2889 N-GSM} to be {1510 V-PAN} to us {1473 P-1AP} to sanctified [ones] {0040 A-APM} and {2532 CONJ} to flawless [ones] {0299 A-APM} down-insight {2714 ADV} of same [One] {0846 P-GSM} in {1722 PREP} unto a love {0026 N-DSF}

1:5 προορίσας ἡμᾶς εἰς υἱοθεσίαν διὰ Ἰησοῦ χριστοῦ εἰς αὐτόν, κατὰ τὴν εὐδοκίαν τοῦ θελήματος αὐτοῦ,

proorisas hEmas eis huiothesian dia iEsou christou eis auton kata tEn eudokian tou thelEmatos autou

for’ us, to a sonship having before-determined through Yeshua Anointed, for’ to Same according-to the delight of the will of Same;

having before-determined {4309 V-AAP-NSM} to us {1473 P-1AP} for’/ into {1519 PREP} to a sonship {5206 N-ASF} through {1223 PREP} of Yeshua/ of Jesus {2424 N-GSM} of Anointed/ of Christ {5547 N-GSM} for’/ into {1519 PREP} to same [One] {0846 P-ASM} according-to {2596 PREP} to the [one] {3588 T-ASF} to a delight {2107 N-ASF} of the [thing] {3588 T-GSN} of a will {2307 N-GSN} of same [One] {0846 P-GSM}

1:6* εἰς ἔπαινον δόξης τῆς χάριτος αὐτοῦ, ἐν ᾗ ἐχαρίτωσεν ἡμᾶς ἐν τῷ ἠγαπημένῳ·

eis epainon doxEs tEs charitos autou en hE echaritOsen hEmas en tO EgapEmenO

for’ to an applause of the glory of [the] grace of Same, in which to us He had graced in the [One] having had been loved,

for’/ into {1519 PREP} to an applause {1868 N-ASM} of a glory {1391 N-GSF} of the [one] {3588 T-GSF} of a grace {5485 N-GSF} of same [One] {0846 P-GSM} in {1722 PREP} unto which a [one] {3739 R-DSF} He had graced {5487 V-AAI-3S} to us {1473 P-1AP} in {1722 PREP} unto the [One] {3588 T-DSM} unto having had been loved {0025 V-RPP-DSM}

1:7* ἐν ᾧ ἔχομεν τὴν ἀπολύτρωσιν διὰ τοῦ αἵματος αὐτοῦ, τὴν ἄφεσιν τῶν παραπτωμάτων, κατὰ τὸν πλοῦτον τῆς χάριτος αὐτοῦ,

en hO echomen tEn apolutrOsin dia tou haimatos autou tEn aphesin tOn paraptOmatOn kata ton plouton tEs charitos autou

in Which to the from-ransom we hold, through the blood of Same; to the remission of the deviations, according-to the riches of the grace of Same,

in {1722 PREP} unto which [One] {3739 R-DSM} we hold {2192 V-PAI-1P} to the [one] {3588 T-ASF} to a from-ransom {0629 N-ASF} through {1223 PREP} of the [thing] {3588 T-GSN} of a blood {0129 N-GSN} of same [One] {0846 P-GSM} to the [one] {3588 T-ASF} to a remission {0859 N-ASF} of the [things] {3588 T-GPN} of deviations {3900 N-GPN} according-to {2596 PREP} to the [one] {3588 T-ASM} to a riches {4149 N-ASM} of the [one] {3588 T-GSF} of a grace {5485 N-GSF} of same [One] {0846 P-GSM}

1:8 ἧς ἐπερίσσευσεν εἰς ἡμᾶς ἐν πάσῃ σοφίᾳ καὶ φρονήσει,

hEs eperisseusen eis hEmas en pasE sophia kai phronEsei

of which [grace] for’ to us He had abounded, in every wisdom and disposition;

of which a [one] {3739 R-GSF} He had abounded {4052 V-AAI-3S} for’/ into {1519 PREP} to us {1473 P-1AP} in {1722 PREP} unto every [one] {3956 A-DSF} unto a wisdom {4678 N-DSF} and {2532 CONJ} unto a disposition {5428 N-DSF}

1:9 γνωρίσας ἡμῖν τὸ μυστήριον τοῦ θελήματος αὐτοῦ, κατὰ τὴν εὐδοκίαν αὐτοῦ, ἣν προέθετο ἐν αὐτῷ

gnOrisas hEmin to mustErion tou thelEmatos autou kata tEn eudokian autou hEn proetheto en autO

to the secret of the will of Same having acknowledged unto us (according-to the delight of Same, which a [delight] He had before-set in Same):

having acknowledged {1107 V-AAP-NSM} unto us {1473 P-1DP} to the [thing] {3588 T-ASN} to a secret {3466 N-ASN} of the [thing] {3588 T-GSN} of a will {2307 N-GSN} of same [One] {0846 P-GSM} according-to {2596 PREP} to the [one] {3588 T-ASF} to a delight {2107 N-ASF} of same [One] {0846 P-GSM} to which a [one] {3739 R-ASF} He had before-set {4388 V-2AMI-3S} in {1722 PREP} unto same [One] {0846 P-DSM}

1:10* εἰς οἰκονομίαν τοῦ πληρώματος τῶν καιρῶν, ἀνακεφαλαιώσασθαι τὰ πάντα ἐν τῷ χριστῷ, τὰ ἐπὶ τοῖς οὐρανοῖς καὶ τὰ ἐπὶ τῆς γῆς·

eis oikonomian tou plErOmatos tOn kairOn anakephalaiOsasthai ta panta en tO christO ta epi tois
ouranois kai ta epi tEs gEs

for’ a house-administration of the fulfillment of the seasons to up-sum; the all [things] in the Anointed, the [things] on the heavens, and the [things] on the earth

for’/ into {1519 PREP} to a house-administration {3622 N-ASF} of the [thing] {3588 T-GSN} of a fulfillment {4138 N-GSN} of the [ones] {3588 T-GPM} of seasons {2540 N-GPM} to up-sum {0346 V-ADN} to the [things] {3588 T-APN} to all [things] {3956 A-APN} in {1722 PREP} unto the [One] {3588 T-DSM} unto Anointed/ unto Christ {5547 N-DSM} to the [things] {3588 T-APN} on {1909 PREP} unto the [ones] {3588 T-DPM} unto heavens {3772 N-DPM} and {2532 CONJ} to the [things] {3588 T-APN} on {1909 PREP} of the [one] {3588 T-GSF} of an earth {1093 N-GSF}

1:11* ἐν αὐτῷ, [1:11] ἐν ᾧ καὶ ἐκληρώθημεν προορισθέντες κατὰ πρόθεσιν τοῦ τὰ πάντα ἐνεργοῦντος κατὰ τὴν βουλὴν τοῦ θελήματος αὐτοῦ,

en autO [1:11] en hO kai eklErOthEmen prooristhentes kata prothesin tou ta panta energountos kata tEn boulEn tou thelEmatos autou

in Same; in Which [1:11] we were allotted, also, having been before-determined according-to a purpose of the [One], to the all [things] operating according-to the intention of the will of Same;

in {1722 PREP} unto same [One] {0846 P-DSM} in {1722 PREP} unto which [One] {3739 R-DSM} also {2532 CONJ} we were allotted {2820 V-API-1P} having been before-determined {4309 V-APP-NPM} according-to {2596 PREP} to a purpose {4286 N-ASF} of the [One] {3588 T-GSM} to the [things] {3588 T-APN} to all [things] {3956 A-APN} of operating {1754 V-PAP-GSM} according-to {2596 PREP} to the [one] {3588 T-ASF} to an intention {1012 N-ASF} of the [thing] {3588 T-GSN} of a will {2307 N-GSN} of same [One] {0846 P-GSM}

1:12 εἰς τὸ εἶναι ἡμᾶς εἰς ἔπαινον δόξης αὐτοῦ, τοὺς προηλπικότας ἐν τῷ χριστῷ·

eis to einai hEmas eis epainon doxEs autou tous proElpikotas en tO christO

for’ the [matter] us to be for’ an applause of glory of Same, the [ones] having had before-expected in the Anointed.

for’/ into {1519 PREP} to the [thing] {3588 T-ASN} to be {1510 V-PAN} to us {1473 P-1AP} for’/ into {1519 PREP} to an applause {1868 N-ASM} of a glory {1391 N-GSF} of same [One] {0846 P-GSM} to the [ones] {3588 T-APM} to having had before-expected {4276 V-RAP-APM} in {1722 PREP} unto the [One] {3588 T-DSM} unto Anointed/ unto Christ {5547 N-DSM}

1:13 ἐν ᾧ καὶ ὑμεῖς, ἀκούσαντες τὸν λόγον τῆς ἀληθείας, τὸ εὐαγγέλιον τῆς σωτηρίας ὑμῶν, ἐν ᾧ καὶ πιστεύσαντες ἐσφραγίσθητε τῷ πνεύματι τῆς ἐπαγγελίας τῷ ἁγίῳ,

en hO kai humeis akousantes ton logon tEs alEtheias to euaggelion tEs sOtErias humOn en hO kai
pisteusantes esphragisthEte tO pneumati tEs epaggelias tO hagiO

In Which, also, you to the word of truth, to the evangel of the salvation you having heard; in Which, also,  you having trusted, you were sealed unto the spirit, the sanctified [spirit] of the promise.

in {1722 PREP} unto which [One] {3739 R-DSM} also {2532 CONJ} you {1473 P-2NP} having heard {0191 V-AAP-NPM} to the [one] {3588 T-ASM} to a word {3056 N-ASM} of the [one] {3588 T-GSF} of a truth {0225 N-GSF} to the [thing] {3588 T-ASN} to an evangel {2098 N-ASN} of the [one] {3588 T-GSF} of a salvation {4991 N-GSF} of you {1473 P-2GP} in {1722 PREP} unto which [One] {3739 R-DSM} also {2532 CONJ} having trusted {4100 V-AAP-NPM} you were sealed {4972 V-API-2P} unto the [thing] {3588 T-DSN} unto a spirit {4151 N-DSN} of the [one] {3588 T-GSF} of a promise {1860 N-GSF} unto the [thing] {3588 T-DSN} unto a sanctified [thing] {0040 A-DSN}

In this Ephesians epistle there are 73 verses with variations (some with multiple variations); each of these are presented below, including source texts.

Summary of variations:
Word Deletions = 52
Declensions = 20
Syntax/Verse Order/Break = 15
Word Additions = 10
Parsing = 10
Different Spellings = 9
Different Words = 7
Crasis = 3

Byzantine Textform 2005 (RP2005) ~ Greek Critical Texts (*GCT)

1:1* Syntax

Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ
‭א A F G Ψ 1739 1881 Byz it vgcl syrp ς CEI ND Dio TILC

iEsou aou
of Yeshua/ of Jesus {2424 N-GSM} of Anointed/ of Christ {5547 N-GSM}

*christou iEsou
of Anointed/ of Christ {5547 N-GSM} of Yeshua/ of Jesus {2424 N-GSM}

Χριστοῦ Ἰησοῦ
p46 B D P 0278 33 1505 pc itb vgst vgww syrh Ambrosiaster WH NR Riv Nv NM

1:1* Deletions (2)

ἐν Ἐφέσῳ
‭א2 A B2 D F G K L P (Ψ* illegible) Ψc 075 0150 0278 33 81 88 104 181 256 263 326 330 365 424* 436 451 459 614 629 630 1175 1241 1319 1573 1852 1877 1881 1912 1962 1984 1985 2127 2200 2464 2492 2495 Byz Lect itar itb itc itd itdem itdiv ite itf itg ito itr itx itz vg syrp syrh copsa copbo goth arm eth geo slav Ambrosiaster Victorinus-Rome Ps-Ignatius Chrysostom Pelagius Jerome Theodorelat Cyril Ps-Jerome Theodoret Cassiodorus John-Damascus ς [WH] [NA] NRtext CEI ND Rivtext Dio [NM]

ousin en ephesO
unto being {1510 V-PAP-DPM} in {1722 PREP} unto Efesos/ unto Ephesus {2181 N-DSF}

ousin
unto being {1510 V-PAP-DPM}

οὖσιν
p46 ‭א* B* 6 424c 1739 Marcionaccording to Tertullian Marcionaccording to Epiphanius Origenvid (Ephraem) mssaccording to Basil NRmg Rivmg Nv

1:6* Deletion and Declension

ἐν ᾗ
‭א2 D (F) G K L Ψ Byz itd itg vg syrh goth ς ND Dio Nv

en hE
in {1722 PREP} unto which a [one] {3739 R-DSF}

*hEs
of which a [one] {3739 R-GSF}

ἧς
p46 ‭א* A B P 0278 6 33 81 88 330 365 424c 436 1175 1319 1739 1837 1881 1908 2127 2464 pc Origen Chrysostom Euthalius WH NR CEI Riv TILC NM

1:7* Declensions

τὸν πλοῦτον
Byz ς

ton plouton
to the [one] {3588 T-ASM} to a richness {4149 N-ASM}

*to ploutos
to the [thing] {3588 T-ASN} to a richness {4149 N-ASN}

τὸ πλοῦτος
WH

1:10-11* Syntax (Verse Break)

1:10…

gEs
of an earth {1093 N-GSF}

*gEs en autO
of an earth {1093 N-GSF} in {1722 PREP} unto same [One] {0846 P-DSM}

…1:11

en autO en hO
in {1722 PREP} unto same [One] {0846 P-DSM} in {1722 PREP} unto which [One] {3739 R-DSM}

*en hO
in {1722 PREP} unto which [One] {3739 R-DSM}

Note: The Byzantine based text verse ends verse 1:10 with “gEs” and continues in verse 1:11 with “en auto en hO” The Alexandrian based text ends verse 1:10 with “en auto,” and continues in verse 1:11 with “en hO”