Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Possible new online reader app

russellallen
Administrator
Hi guys,

We’ve been having issues with the browser app, with people not being able to load the text etc, so as we talked about earlier I’ve been looking around for a replacement.

I’ve uploaded one candidate at:

It’s based on the open source javascripture.org

I haven’t changed too much yet, just adding the OEB.

Can you maybe have try using it and let me know if you like it, what problems you have etc? (If you have problems, it’d be great if you could include details of your OS and browser)

Cheers!
Russell

Reply | Threaded
|  

Re: Possible new online reader app

Coburn
This seems like a perfect time to mention my struggles with the current web display. I read the OEB on a 7" Android tablet, so when a book opens up I have to scroll down through it. There are:
  • No anchors for the chapters
  • No navigation options beyond scrolling
  • No paged display.

One option I looked at was the PubMed scripts, which can be included as Javascript in the page HTML, and produce a very nice and easy-to-navigate display, almost like an e-book reader. A few tweaks would make it very usable.

Having said that, Javascripture looks very cool as well. I'm gonna beta-test that for ya. One comment on first impression is that the OEB end-user is not gonna care about parallel versions much. Javascripture seems more appropriate as a developer/translator tool.

HTH

Coby

2015-01-27 21:52 GMT-08:00 russellallen [via Open English Bible] <[hidden email]>:
Hi guys,

We’ve been having issues with the browser app, with people not being able to load the text etc, so as we talked about earlier I’ve been looking around for a replacement.

Can you maybe have try using it and let me know if you like it, what problems you have etc? (If you have problems, it’d be great if you could include details of your OS and browser)

Cheers!
Russell

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.openenglishbible.org/Possible-new-online-reader-app-tp422.html
To start a new topic under Open English Bible, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Open English Bible, click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|  

Coburn
In reply to this post by russellallen
That can be used offline, right?

2015-01-28 11:07 GMT-08:00 Coby Ingram <[hidden email]>:
This seems like a perfect time to mention my struggles with the current web display. I read the OEB on a 7" Android tablet, so when a book opens up I have to scroll down through it. There are:
  • No paged display.

One option I looked at was the PubMed scripts, which can be included as Javascript in the page HTML, and produce a very nice and easy-to-navigate display, almost like an e-book reader. A few tweaks would make it very usable.

Having said that, Javascripture looks very cool as well. I'm gonna beta-test that for ya. One comment on first impression is that the OEB end-user is not gonna care about parallel versions much. Javascripture seems more appropriate as a developer/translator tool.

HTH

Coby

2015-01-27 21:52 GMT-08:00 russellallen [via Open English Bible] <[hidden email]>:

Hi guys,

Cheers!
Russell

NAML

Reply | Threaded
|  

russellallen
Administrator
In reply to this post by Coburn
Hi Coby!

On 29 Jan 2015, at 6:08 am, Coburn [via Open English Bible] <[hidden email]> wrote:

• No paged display.
Hmm. Definitely no paged display but you should be able to jump directly to verses.

What happens when you click on the green ‘OEB’? It should pop up a navigtion box which includes a text entry field. Try entering "John 3:16” - does it then take you to the correct reference?

This looks quite promising! I’ll have a closer look at it.

Unfortunately I don’t have a good handle on what the average OEB end user is looking for. They might want parallel to be reassured that the OEB isn’t obviously inaccurate, or they may want to compare the OEB with original languages?

Russell

HTH

Coby

2015-01-27 21:52 GMT-08:00 russellallen [via Open English Bible] <<a href="x-msg://2/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=423&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external" class="">[hidden email]>:
Hi guys,

Cheers!
Russell

To start a new topic under Open English Bible, email <a href="x-msg://2/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=423&amp;i=1" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external" class="">[hidden email]
NAML

http://forum.openenglishbible.org/Possible-new-online-reader-app-tp422p423.html
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|  

Coburn
Russell --

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't noticed the navigation :P

Some observations about Javascripture. I see that it is based on JQuery. I also notice that it converts everything to a script file and caches those files as offline web pages.

Not sure what others may think, but I like the ability in my Bible browsing to open onliine and offline HTML or PDF sources in parallel with what I'm reading. Another Firefox tab is usually adequate, but if the Bible browser itself can handle opening those files, say in an iframe, that is nice. In other words, if it doesn't have to cache the Bible sources, but can just open them from either a file or a URL. The current "gold standard" (if you want to call it that) is server-based Bible browsers like Bible Tools that offer not only public-domain versions but also major copyrighted translations like the NIV and ESV.

Another thing I'd like to see someday is the ability to have a way to take notes and highlight text, the way you can do on Google Drive, on the CCEL site, or in one of the web-based Bible tools like crosswire.org/study or the NET Bible Tool. It would be nice to have this capability offline, though even with HTML5 there isn't really a secure and convenient way to access local files. Well, sort of...

One minor inconvenience. The "Original" tab displays polytonic Greek and unpointed Hebrew. For the Greek, we need the Ubuntu and/or Cardo web fonts enabled in order to see the accented characters on a mobile device. For the pointed Hebrew, I wonder if there doesn't exist a further difficulty or two.

On the good side, the app has several important things going for it. The ability to look up the Strong's entry for a given word, and search not only all occurrences of that word but also related words, is unique, and very simple to use. I also like the simplicity of the parallel view. As I said, it could be enhanced by allowing the user to select a custom source. And the fact that it's web-based allows for using CSS to change styling and functionality.

Overall, it's a good basic concept that could be taken places. Brilliant discovery.

Thanks,

Coby

2015-01-29 1:47 GMT-08:00 russellallen [via Open English Bible] <[hidden email]>:
Hi Coby!

On 29 Jan 2015, at 6:08 am, Coburn [via Open English Bible] <[hidden email]> wrote:

• No paged display.
Hmm. Definitely no paged display but you should be able to jump directly to verses.

What happens when you click on the green ‘OEB’? It should pop up a navigtion box which includes a text entry field. Try entering "John 3:16” - does it then take you to the correct reference?

This looks quite promising! I’ll have a closer look at it.

Unfortunately I don’t have a good handle on what the average OEB end user is looking for. They might want parallel to be reassured that the OEB isn’t obviously inaccurate, or they may want to compare the OEB with original languages?

Russell

HTH

Coby

2015-01-27 21:52 GMT-08:00 russellallen [via Open English Bible] <<a href="x-msg://2/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=423&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external" class="">[hidden email]>:
Hi guys,

Cheers!
Russell

To start a new topic under Open English Bible, email <a href="x-msg://2/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=423&amp;i=1" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external" class="">[hidden email]
NAML

http://forum.openenglishbible.org/Possible-new-online-reader-app-tp422p423.html
NAML

http://forum.openenglishbible.org/Possible-new-online-reader-app-tp422p425.html
NAML