Reading interface

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Reading interface

russellallen
Administrator
Hi guys,


This mentions a revision of the ‘reading’ interface for the OEB which I’ve done some improvements to.

This really needs someone with good CSS/JS skills to take to the next level - if anyone here is willing and able please let me know!

Cheers Russell
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Reading interface

peter
Hi Russell!

I am sorely tempted to volunteer to help with the reading interface (adding polish & better mobile support), but I have another project that I need to finish before I can commit, and even then I would only be able to commit to an hour or two a week, so I don't have a ton of availability.

If someone else steps forward & is able to help immediately, please don't wait for me to become available. But I did want to let you know that I am a big fan of the OEB project and very appreciative of your efforts. I started working on a "Millennial Translation" of the gospel of Mark based on the OEB (making it more dynamic and readable, aimed at a YA reading level), but I had to put that on pause before I got very far due to other projects.

I am a professional software developer and have been working primarily with client-side web technologies for almost two decades. I'm the lead developer of Daycast (daycast.com; it's a desktop app, but is built with web technologies via Electron).

-- Peter Rust

On Sun, Jan 13, 2019 at 8:29 PM russellallen [via Open English Bible] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi guys,


This mentions a revision of the ‘reading’ interface for the OEB which I’ve done some improvements to.

This really needs someone with good CSS/JS skills to take to the next level - if anyone here is willing and able please let me know!

Cheers Russell



If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.openenglishbible.org/Reading-interface-tp791.html
To start a new topic under Open English Bible, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Open English Bible, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Reading interface

russellallen
Administrator
Hey Peter,
Any help especially from a pro would be great :)
Longer term I’ve been wondering if it would be possible to leverage it into an Android/iOS app as well.
There are a number of great apps out there but few that are open to us and are also focused on reading, as opposed to verse by verse study.

Russell

PS Daycast looks cool, congrats


On 15 Jan 2019, at 3:29 am, peter [via Open English Bible] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Russell!

I am sorely tempted to volunteer to help with the reading interface (adding polish & better mobile support), but I have another project that I need to finish before I can commit, and even then I would only be able to commit to an hour or two a week, so I don't have a ton of availability.

If someone else steps forward & is able to help immediately, please don't wait for me to become available. But I did want to let you know that I am a big fan of the OEB project and very appreciative of your efforts. I started working on a "Millennial Translation" of the gospel of Mark based on the OEB (making it more dynamic and readable, aimed at a YA reading level), but I had to put that on pause before I got very far due to other projects.

I am a professional software developer and have been working primarily with client-side web technologies for almost two decades. I'm the lead developer of Daycast (daycast.com; it's a desktop app, but is built with web technologies via Electron).

-- Peter Rust

On Sun, Jan 13, 2019 at 8:29 PM russellallen [via Open English Bible] <<a href="x-msg://1/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=792&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external" class="">[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi guys,


This mentions a revision of the ‘reading’ interface for the OEB which I’ve done some improvements to.

This really needs someone with good CSS/JS skills to take to the next level - if anyone here is willing and able please let me know!

Cheers Russell



If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.openenglishbible.org/Reading-interface-tp791.html
To start a new topic under Open English Bible, email <a href="x-msg://1/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=792&amp;i=1" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external" class="">[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Open English Bible, click here.
NAML



If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.openenglishbible.org/Reading-interface-tp791p792.html
To start a new topic under Open English Bible, [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Open English Bible, click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Reading interface

Timchambers
A strong second to find a good Bible Mobile App willing to take on the OEB as the default or at least major choice of translation. Did we try outreach before to innovative Bible apps?

Here is one I've been looking at lately:

http://catenabible.com/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Reading interface

russellallen
Administrator
There are a bunch of nice mobile apps, and I’ve spoken to some of them in the past. Most would prefer to wait until the OEB is complete rather than having a partial translation still in flux.

We are in the Crosswire Sword ecosystem - http://www.crosswire.org/sword/index.jsp - but their mobile story isn’t too great and their apps have historically been of the ‘Bible as Database’ school. That is, you can cut, dice, search, compare and list individual verses but the apps don’t naturally lend themselves to seeing each book of the Bible as a coherent text to be read with nice formatting, headers, poetry etc

I’m not knocking that approach - I use it heavily in Accordance when doing the OEB. But once the OEB is translated I want to read it!

Having our own, even if very simple, would let us easily push out new versions and also maybe development versions of books (with an appropriate warning) 


On 16 Jan 2019, at 2:24 am, Timchambers [via Open English Bible] <[hidden email]> wrote:

A strong second to find a good Bible Mobile App willing to take on the OEB as the default or at least major choice of translation. Did we try outreach before to innovative Bible apps?

Here is one I've been looking at lately:

http://catenabible.com/


If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.openenglishbible.org/Reading-interface-tp791p795.html
To start a new topic under Open English Bible, [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Open English Bible, click here.
NAML