classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Rebooting OEB...

russellallen
Administrator
Yes, I changed servers so I was waiting for the DNS to update before letting you all know.

So, in short, I’ve refreshed the site, done some backend work on the GitHub repo and build infrastructure, and laid out a plan for the next stage.

Please read all the post, but copying a bit from the link:

We are going to work on the books of the Old Testament / Hebrew Bible more or less in reverse order using the Protestant ordering.

That is:

1. First, we will finish the Twelve. These are all done except for Hosea and Amos.

2. Second, we’ll move to the Major Prophets, releasing Isaiah, Jeremiah, Lamentations, Ezekiel and Daniel.

3. Thirdly, the Wisdom Books. We have already released the Psalms, but will work on Job, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes and Song of Solomon.

4. Fourthly, a History lesson. We aready have Ruth and Esther, but we will fill in the rest of the stories of the conquest of Canaan, the period of the judges and the united and divided monarchies. Of these, 1 Samuel is already is good shape.

5. And lastly, we will tackle the five books of the Law / Torah. Genesis is in not too bad shape already, but work hasn’t started yet on the other four books.

At each stage, the process will be to release, on a regular basis, the chapters which have been completed. When the book is finished to a first, but releasable, version, a new numbered OEB will be pushed to the website.

So the immediate future is working on Hosea. Sometime next week I’ll do another post showing the start of that process.

When Hosea is done we’ll release OEB 2019.1, and move onto Amos.

Onwards and upwards! Russell

On 15 Dec 2018, at 2:26 am, Timchambers [via Open English Bible] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Glad to see this:

https://www.openenglishbible.org/blog/2018-reboot/

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.openenglishbible.org/Status-Check-tp772p788.html
To start a new topic under Open English Bible, [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Open English Bible, click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Rebooting OEB...

Coburn
I have a translation of Amos for you. Email me for a copy.

I submitted a draft of this translation once upon a time. I have polished it since. It is a literary translation, that is, it aims to be as accurate as possible while giving the tone and flavor of the original. It is not a literal or an idiomatic translation, it is both. And so it has its own tone and diction that do not match other Biblical books exactly. Amos does not sound like Isaiah or Luke. That is deliberate.

Please look it over and see if it fits with the OEB. I would be glad for you to use it but no worries.

Thanks,

Coby
Reply | Threaded
|

Coburn
In reply to this post by russellallen
Just curious. I know 1 John has been translated a long time ago. But I have since done a translation of it for my own satisfaction. The interesting thing about this translation is that it is versified, like Psalms. 1 John seems to lend itself to this literary form very well. Accordingly, I also used Franz Delitzsch's Hebrew translation as my base text, assuming that if John wrote in verse, he wrote in Hebrew and translated later.

Would you be interested in looking at a versified translation of 1 John?
Reply | Threaded
|

russellallen
Administrator
In reply to this post by Coburn
I remember reading the earlier draft a while back, love to see how it has evolved and whether we can make it fit. If you don’t want to make it public then feel free to email it to me directly

Cheers Russell
[hidden email]

On 16 Jan 2019, at 10:48 am, Coburn [via Open English Bible] <[hidden email]> wrote:

I have a translation of Amos for you. Email me for a copy.

I submitted a draft of this translation once upon a time. I have polished it since. It is a literary translation, that is, it aims to be as accurate as possible while giving the tone and flavor of the original. It is not a literal or an idiomatic translation, it is both. And so it has its own tone and diction that do not match other Biblical books exactly. Amos does not sound like Isaiah or Luke. That is deliberate.

Please look it over and see if it fits with the OEB. I would be glad for you to use it but no worries.

Thanks,

Coby

http://forum.openenglishbible.org/Rebooting-OEB-tp789p798.html
To start a new topic under Open English Bible, email [hidden email]
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

russellallen
Administrator
In reply to this post by Coburn
I hadn’t heard of Franz Delitzsch - nice!

Given our scope I don’t think it would be likely to have a huge impact on how we do 1 John for the OEB but I’m very big on the ’the more the merrier’ approach to translations…
I’m not sold on John not being originally in Greek, but it does seem that modern research is more open to Hebrew being an alive language in the NT period than mid-20th century scholars assumed.

On a related note, the OEB has retained ‘Hebrew’ as the language Paul is speaking in Acts 22:2 rather than going for ‘Aramaic’. Personally, though this is just a guess, the more literal reading makes sense of the scene - the crowd is roughly silent, Paul starts speaking in Hebrew, ie in a high-status language correlated with religious use, and the crowd grows very silent. The choice of language is a deliberate declaration of authority and knowledge. “I’m not a random crackpot who will spout nonsense for your  amusement, but someone worth listening to.”

Russell

On 16 Jan 2019, at 10:51 am, Coburn [via Open English Bible] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Just curious. I know 1 John has been translated a long time ago. But I have since done a translation of it for my own satisfaction. The interesting thing about this translation is that it is versified, like Psalms. 1 John seems to lend itself to this literary form very well. Accordingly, I also used Franz Delitzsch's Hebrew translation as my base text, assuming that if John wrote in verse, he wrote in Hebrew and translated later.

Would you be interested in looking at a versified translation of 1 John?

http://forum.openenglishbible.org/Rebooting-OEB-tp789p799.html
To start a new topic under Open English Bible, [hidden email]
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

Coburn
There is a project going on to recover the Hebrew original translations of Matthew and Luke and some of the other NT books, in the process of making a Modern Hebrew translation of the NT. They have some very persuasive arguments to support the idea that Jesus would have spoken Hebrew and not Aramaic. They explain the various "Aramaic" quotes in the NT as also being good Hebrew, etc. They also have some good arguments for Hebrew primacy rather than Aramaic primacy. I thought it was pretty interesting. It would make sense that the Church after Constantine would have suppressed or forgotten any Hebrew texts that existed then. It certainly enlightens my translation work.