Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

What's happening

russellallen
Administrator
So, two things are happening at my end:

1:

I’m continuing to make the build process completely automatic. I’m almost there on this. You can see the progress on

ePub and Kindle building is almost automated which is the last major piece.

I’d def appreciate suggestions on other useful formats we should be building in.

2:

Kahunapule Michael Johnson, the creator of the WEB translation, is very kindly helping me get our USFM code properly compliant with the standard. Because we don’t have access to the proprietary Paratext software, our USFM needs some fixing but we’re almost there with that. 

This is important because it opens up possibilities in other organisations using the OEB. If our source isn’t properly compliant they won’t be able to use it.

I hope you all had a meaningful Easter!

Russell

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: What's happening

Timchambers
Very cool was not familiar with USFM, but seems like an important format for translation tools...

Tim
Reply | Threaded
|

Jacob
I'm not sure there is anything better than USFM. I use it myself (without paratext either). I'm not sure I like the idea of depending on a standard for a proprietary software product, but a standard is better than no standard (I know some are using some new xml formats,they do make more tools available, but not as friendly for editing)
Reply | Threaded
|

russellallen
Administrator
I haven’t been able to find anything better.

There is an XML standard - OSIS  - but is too complicated. Other formats are too simple. We need to markup paragraphs, headings etc as well as chapter and verses.

USFM is the most common standard and we work from the published description so I don’t think the proprietary-ness is too much of a problem. The issue comes because the standard is a prose description, not a software check like XML has.

I have toyed with making a simple micro format which is better for plain text editing but allow conversion to USFM. Sort of like Markdown for Bibles. I haven’t got around to doing it yet.

On 25 Apr 2016, at 8:39 AM, Jacob [via Open English Bible] <[hidden email]> wrote:

I'm not sure there is anything better than USFM. I use it myself (without paratext either). I'm not sure I like the idea of depending on a standard for a proprietary software product, but a standard is better than no standard (I know some are using some new xml formats,they do make more tools available, but not as friendly for editing)

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.openenglishbible.org/What-s-happening-tp580p590.html
To start a new topic under Open English Bible, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Open English Bible, click here.
NAML