classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Working Through Next Small Letter: 3rd John

Timchambers
OK: getting thru Titus was good as it was relatively smaller letter. I'm going to keep with that trend and go through the 3rd Letter of John next.

Will add my replies against this post for each suggestion.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Re: Working Through Next Small Letter: 3rd John

Timchambers
3 John 1-4 currently reads in the OEB as:

To his dear friend Gaius, whom he sincerely loves, From the officer of the church.
2 Dear friend, I pray that all may be well with you and that you may have good health — I know that all is well with your soul. 3 For it was a great joy to me, when some followers of the Lord came and testified to your fidelity to the truth — I know that your own life is guided by the truth. 4 Nothing gives me greater pleasure than to hear from time to time that the lives of my children are guided by the truth.

Consider changing to:

From the elder, to Gaius, who is loved by all, and whom I love in the truth.
 2 My beloved friend, I pray that all may be well with you and that you may be in good health — just as your soul prospers. 3 For I rejoiced greatly, when some followers of the Lord came and testified to your faithfulness to the truth — as you continue to walk in the truth. 4 I have no greater joy than to hear that the my children are walking in the truth.

===
NOTE: Open question if "soul" is really the best current English word for "psyche" - soul in current english implies disembodied greek soul.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Timchambers
3rd John 1:5-6 reads in the OEB:

5 Dear friend, whatever you do for other followers is done in a Christian spirit — even when they are strangers to you. 6 They themselves have testified before the church to your love; and you will do well to help them on their way in a manner worthy of the service of God.

Consider these changes:

5 Dear friend, you are faithful in all the things you do for the brothers and sisters - even when they are strangers to you. 6 They themselves have testified before the church to your love. You will do well to help them on their way in a manner worthy of the service of God.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Timchambers
In the OEB, 3rd John 1:7-8 currently reads:

7 For it was on behalf of the name that they left their homes, and refused to take anything from the Gentiles. 8 We, therefore, ought to give such people a hearty welcome, and so take our share in their work for the truth.

Consider changing to:

7 It was because of the Name that they went forth from their homes, accepting not even one thing from the Gentiles. 8 Therefore, we ought to support such people, and so take our share in their work for the truth.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Timchambers
In the OEB, 3rd John 1:9 and 10 currently read:

9 I wrote a few lines to the church; but Diotrephes, who loves to be first among them, declines to recognize us. 10 Therefore, when I come, I will not forget his conduct in ridiculing us with his wicked tongue. Not content with that, he not only declines to recognize our friends who are followers himself, but actually prevents those who would, and expels them from the church.

Consider changing to:

9 I wrote something to the church, but Diotrephes, who loves to put himself first among them, does not welcome us. 10 So if I come, I will remember his actions in telling wicked nonsense about us.
Not content with that, he not only refuses to welcome the brothers himself, but also stops those who would, and expels them from the church.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Timchambers
The OEB for 3rd John 1:11-12 reads:

Dear friend, take what is good for your example, not what is bad. The person who does what is good is from God; the person who does what is bad has never seen God. 12 Everyone has always had a good word for Demetrius, and the truth itself speaks for him. Yes, and we also add our good word, and you know that what we say about him is true.

Consider changing to:

Dear friend, do not imitate what is bad, but what is good.  The person who does what is good is from God. The person who does what is bad has never seen God. 12 Everyone has always had a good word for  Demetrius, and the truth itself speaks for him. Yes, we also add our good word, and you know that our testimony is true.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Timchambers
The OEB for 3rd John 1:13-14 reads:

13 I have a great deal to say to you, but I do not care to trust it to pen and ink in a letter. 14 I hope, however, it will not be long before I see you, and then we will speak face to face. Peace be with you. Our friends here send you their greetings. Greet each one of our friends.

Consider changing to:

13 I have much to write to you, but I do not want to write it in pen and ink. 14 I hope to see you soon, and then we will speak face to face. Peace be with you. The friends here send you their greetings. Greet each one of the friends by name.