classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

"In the beginning the Word was;"

James Smith
Im starting at John, simply because I am most familiar with the greek of John. Isn't "In the beginning the Word was;" a little clunky in English? And odd, given that it is an intentional divergence from the greek word order? Wouldn't it be better to simply say "In the beginning was the Word" ?

And on a side note, do we submit patches via github for suggested changes? And also, should "and" follow a semicolon?

\mt2 The
\mt2 Good News According to
\mt John
\c 1
\s Introduction
\p
\q
\v 1 In the beginning the Word was;
\q2 and the Word was with God;
\q2 and the Word was God.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: "In the beginning the Word was;"

russellallen
Administrator
Hi Israel,
Thanks for the thoughts!

Yes, the start of John is a little clunky (or maybe poetic?). This wording was inherited from the 20th Century NT (our base English translation). 

I suspect that they chose it to emphasise John’s deliberate allusion to Genesis - "In the beginning, God created...” -> “In the beginning, the Word was…”, and also the connection with the later ‘I am’ statements. This was my reasoning in not changing it but I am open to discussion!

Generally speaking, the word order of the Greek is relevant to me in so far as it adds to the meaning of the Greek, and the word order of the English should be word order which hopefully conveys that meaning in English, if you see what I mean.

If you have changes suggest, either submit a patch via github or share them here on the mailing list so people can look at them.

Cheers Russell

On 9 Jan 2016, at 3:09 pm, Israel Rhoden [via Open English Bible] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Im starting at John, simply because I am most familiar with the greek of John. Isn't "In the beginning the Word was;" a little clunky in English? And odd, given that it is an intentional divergence from the greek word order? Wouldn't it be better to simply say "In the beginning was the Word" ?

And on a side note, do we submit patches via github for suggested changes?

\mt2 The
\mt2 Good News According to
\mt John
\c 1
\s Introduction
\p
\q
\v 1 In the beginning the Word was;
\q2 and the Word was with God;
\q2 and the Word was God.

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.openenglishbible.org/In-the-beginning-the-Word-was-tp542.html
To start a new topic under Open English Bible, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Open English Bible, click here.
NAML