classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
50 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "Soul" and "Psyche" in the OEB

Timchambers
In the OEB, Phil 4:23 reads:

[23] May the blessing of the Lord Jesus Christ rest on your souls.

Consider, as all major translations seem to do, translating "souls" here as "spirit" as the greek word is "pnuema." Also consider changing "blessings" to "grace" as the word is "charis." Also "rest on your" isn't in the greek, more like "be with."

So change to:

May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit.

Reply | Threaded
|

Timchambers
In reply to this post by Timchambers
In the OEB, 1 Thes 5:23 reads:

May God himself, the giver of peace, make you altogether holy; and may your spirits, souls, and bodies be kept altogether faultless until the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

All translations keep "spirit, soul and body" for this phrase. So we likely should too. But the other parts of the sentence could use some tweaks. "Giver of peace" seems an added phrase not in the greek, the semicolon could be removed and other clean up.

ESV:
 Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

The KNT reads:
Now may the God of peace himself make you completely holy. May your complete spirit, soul, and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus the Messiah.

HCSB reads:
Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely. And may your spirit, soul, and body be kept sound and blameless for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Consider changing to:

Now may the God of peace himself, make you altogether holy, and may your spirit, soul, and body be kept sound and blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Reply | Threaded
|

Timchambers
In the OEB, 2 thes 2:3 reads:

Do not let anyone deceive you, whatever he may do. For it will not come until after the Great Apostasy, and the appearing of that Incarnation of Wickedness, that Lost Soul,

the HSCB reads:
3 Don’t let anyone deceive you in any way. For that day will not come unless the apostasy[a] comes first and the man of lawlessness[b] is revealed, the son of destruction.

The KNT reads:
3Don’t let anyone deceive you in any way. You see, it can’t happen unless first the rebellion takes place, and the man of lawlessness, the son of destruction, is revealed.

The ESV reads:
 3 Let no one deceive you in any way. For that day will not come, unless the rebellion comes first, and the man of lawlessness[a] is revealed, the son of destruction,[b]

Consider:
Do not let anyone deceive you in any way. For that day will not come until the rebellion occurs first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction,

Reply | Threaded
|

Timchambers
In the OEB, in 2nd Tim 3:22 it reads:
May the Lord be with your soul. God bless you all.

As all major translations do, consider changing this to "spirit" (as the word used is "pneuma"). And the last phrase seems better translated "Grace be with" than "God bless..."

So consider:

May the Lord be with your spirit. Grace be with you all.

Reply | Threaded
|

Timchambers
In Philemon 1:25 in the OEB it reads:

May the blessing of the Lord Jesus Christ rest on your souls.

Again, the word "charis" seems better translated "grace" and again "rest on your" seems better translated "be with" and "souls" here is the word "pnuema" which as before, seems better translated "spirit."

So consider:

May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit.

Reply | Threaded
|

Timchambers
In the OEB, Heb 4:12 reads:

God's message is a living and active power, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing its way until it penetrates soul and spirit — not the joints only but the marrow — and detecting the inmost thoughts and purposes of the mind.

All modern translations keep the word soul. So for the time being, I think we do to. But there may be other clean up. See below for how other translations rendered it:

The KNT reads:
"God’s word is alive, you see! It’s powerful, and it’s sharper than any double-edged sword . It can pierce right in between soul and spirit, or joints and marrow; it can go straight to the point of what the human heart is thinking or intends to do."

The HCSB reads:
"For the word of God is living and effective and sharper than any double-edged sword, penetrating as far as the separation of soul and spirit, joints and marrow. It is able to judge the ideas and thoughts of the heart."

The ESV reads:
 For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

The word "message" should be better translated as word "logos" and some of the extra words not clearly in the greek might be simplified. Plus some words in the greek "kardia" seem to be better translated "heart" than mind.

Consider changing to:

God's message is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and spirit, or to the joints and marrow, even able to discern the thoughts and purposes of the heart.
Reply | Threaded
|

Timchambers
In the OEB, Hebrews 6:19 reads:

This hope is an anchor for our souls, secure and strong, and it ‘reaches into the sanctuary that lies behind the curtain,’

Modern English transltions are mixed on this. Many translate "psyche" as souls, but others don't:

The HSCB renders this:
19 We have this hope as an anchor for our lives, safe and secure. It enters the inner sanctuary behind the curtain.

Mounce New Testament:
19 We have this hope as an anchor for life, both sure and steadfast, a hope that enters the inner shrine behind the veil

The KNT renders this:
19We have this hope like an anchor, secure, solid, and penetrating into the inner place behind the curtain,

Here I think we make the same decision as Mounce and HSCB and go with "life" ...Also here is some other clean up to better match the greek:

This hope is an anchor for our lives, both secure and strong, and it enters the inner shrine behind the curtain,

Reply | Threaded
|

Timchambers
In the OEB, Heb 10:39 reads:

But we do not belong to those who draw back, to their ruin, but to those who have faith, to the saving of their souls.

Some modern translations use the word "souls" for "psyche" here, but others do not:

HSCB reads:
39 But we are not those who draw back and are destroyed, but those who have faith and obtain life.

the KNT reads:
39We are not among the hesitators, who are destroyed! We are people of faith, and our lives will be kept safe.

The NIV reads:
39 But we do not belong to those who shrink back and are destroyed, but to those who have faith and are saved.

The Voice reads:
 My friends, we are not those who give up hope and so are lost; but we are of the company who live by faith and so are saved.

I think again, we should go with "lives" and also clean up the rest of the text to better match the greek:

Consider:

But we are not those who draw back, and are destroyed, but to those who have faith, and so preserve their lives.
Reply | Threaded
|

Timchambers
In the OEB in Heb 12:9 it currently reads:

Further, when our earthly fathers disciplined us, we respected them. Should we not, then, much rather yield submission to the Father of souls, and live?

All the modern translations render "pnuema" as "spirits" here and so should we.  Also cleaning up the sentence a bit to be closer to the Greek.

So I recommend:

Besides this, we had human fathers who disciplined us, and we respected them. Shouldn't we submit even more to the Father of spirits and live?
Reply | Threaded
|

Timchambers
In the OEB, Heb 13:17 reads:

Obey your leaders, and submit to their control, for they are watching over your souls, since they will have to render an account, so that they may do it with joy, and not in sorrow. That would not be to your advantage.

NIV reads:
"Have confidence in your leaders and submit to their authority, because they keep watch over you as those who must give an account. Do this so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no benefit to you."

the Voice reads:
Listen to your leaders and submit to their authority over the community, for they are on constant watch to protect your souls and someday they must give account. Give them reason to be joyful and not to regret their duty, for that will be of no good to you.

The KNT reads:
Obey your leaders; submit to them. They are keeping watch over your lives, you see, as people who will have to give account. Make sure they can do this with joy, not with a groan as a burden. That would be of no value to you.

I think "lives" or "you" works well, better than "souls." Also cleaning up the rest of the sentences and words to better fit the greek.

So consider:

Obey your leaders, and submit to them, for they keep watch over your lives as ones who will have to give an account. Let them do it with joy, and not sighing. That would be of no benefit to you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Timchambers
In the OEB, James 1:21 reads:

Therefore, get rid of all filthiness and whatever wickedness still remains, and in a humble spirit receive that message which has been planted in your hearts and is able to save your souls.

The KNT renders this:
So put away everything that is sordid, all that overflowing malice, and humbly receive the word which has been planted within you and which has the power to rescue your lives.

The HCSB renders this:
Therefore, ridding yourselves of all moral filth and evil, humbly receive the implanted word, which is able to save you.

The NIV reads:
Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you.

I think the rendering of "souls" as "you" or "your lives" is a better fit for "psyche" here. Also cleaning up the other parts of the sentence to better match the greek.

So consider:

Therefore, put away all moral filthiness and evil that is so pervasive, and in a humble spirit receive the word which has been planted in you and is able to save your lives.

Reply | Threaded
|

Timchambers
In the OEB, James 5:20 reads:

be sure that the person who brings a sinner back from their mistaken ways will save that person's soul from death, and will cover a multitude of sins.

Some translations render "pscyhe" soul, but others do not:

HSCB reads:
20 let him know that whoever turns a sinner from the error of his way will save his life from death and cover a multitude of sins.

NIV reads:
20 remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of their way will save them from death and cover over a multitude of sins.

The NLT reads:
20 you can be sure that whoever brings the sinner back from wandering will save that person from death and bring about the forgiveness of many sins.

The KNT reads:
20know this: the one who turns back a sinner from wandering off into error will rescue that person’s life from death, and cover a multitude of sins.

Consdider changing the OEB to:

and know that the one who brings a sinner back from the error of their way will save that person's life from death, and will cover a multitude of sins.

Reply | Threaded
|

Timchambers
The OEB renders 1 Peter 1:9 as:

as you receive the reward of your faith in the salvation of your souls!

Most major English translations render "psyche" as "souls" - the exception is the Kingdom NT:

KTN reads:
9 since you are receiving the proper goal of your faith—namely, the rescue of your lives.

Maybe we go along these same lines. Also, the "telos" of your faith seems to be more akin to "outcome" or "ultimate goal" than "reward."

So consider changing to:

as you receive the final result of your faith - the saving of your lives!

Reply | Threaded
|

Timchambers
1 Peter 2:11 reads:

Dear friends, I beg you, as pilgrims and strangers on earth, to refrain from indulging the cravings of your earthly nature, for they make war on the soul.

Most modern translations render "pscyhe" here as "soul" but not all:

KNT reads:
My beloved ones, I beg you— strangers and resident aliens as you are— to hold back from the fleshly desires that wage war against your true lives.

And the HSCB reads:
Dear friends, I urge you as strangers and temporary residents to abstain from fleshly desires that war against you.

I think we go with either translation of "psyche" here, and clean up the rest of the sentence to be closer to the greek:

Dear friends, I urge you, as sojourners and exiles, to shun the desires of the flesh which battle against you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Timchambers
The OEB reads in 1 Peter 2:25

Once you were straying like sheep, but now you have returned to the shepherd and guardian of your souls.

Some modern translations render "psyche" as "souls" here but not all:

The KNT reads:
25For you were going astray like sheep, But now you have returned to the shepherd And guardian of your true lives.

The Voice reads:
For there was a time when you were like sheep that wandered from the fold, but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Guardian of your lives.

The Complete Jewish Bible reads:
25 For you used to be like sheep gone astray, but now you have turned to[a] the Shepherd, who watches over you.

I think we do the same as these. Consider changing to:

Once you were straying like sheep, but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Guardian of your lives.
Reply | Threaded
|

Timchambers
In the OEB, 2nd Peter 2:8 reads:

for, seeing and hearing what he did, as he lived his righteous life among them, day after day, Lot's righteous soul was tortured by their wicked doings.

Most translations render "psyche" as "soul" but not all:

HSCB reads:
8 (for as he lived among them, that righteous man tormented himself day by day with the lawless deeds he saw and heard)—

The Complete Jewish Bible reads:
8 for the wicked deeds which that righteous man saw and heard, as he lived among them, tormented his righteous heart day after day.

I think either are an improvement over "soul." So consider this, which also tweaks the sentence to better fit the greek wording:

for while that righteous man lived among them, day after day, his righteous heart was tormented by the lawless acts he saw and heard.

Reply | Threaded
|

Timchambers
In the OEB, 2nd Peter 2:14 reads:

[14] They have eyes only for adulteresses, eyes never tired of sin; they entice weak souls; their minds are trained to covet; they live under a curse.

Many translations do not translate "psyche" as "soul" here. For example:

HSCB reads:
14 They have eyes full of adultery and are always looking for sin. They seduce unstable people and have hearts trained in greed. Children under a curse!

NIV:
14 With eyes full of adultery, they never stop sinning; they seduce the unstable; they are experts in greed—an accursed brood!

NLT
14 They commit adultery with their eyes, and their desire for sin is never satisfied. They lure unstable people into sin, and they are well trained in greed. They live under God’s curse.

"People" seems to be the best fit to my eyes. Consider this, which also tweaks the rest of the sentence to get closer to the Greek:

They have eyes full of adultery, always looking for sin. They entrap unstable people and have hearts well trained in greed - an accursed brood!
Reply | Threaded
|

Timchambers
In the OEB, 3rd John 1:2 reads:

Dear friend, I pray that all may be well with you and that you may have good health — I know that all is well with your soul.

Some translate "psyche" soul, but many modern translations do not:

The KNT reads:
Beloved, I pray that all is going well with you, and that you are every bit as healthy physically as you are spiritually.

The HSCB reads:
Dear friend, I pray that you may prosper in every way and be in good health physically just as you are spiritually.

Consider making similar choices on "psyche" as well as the following changes to be closer to the greek:

Dear friend, I pray that in every way, that you may prosper and be healthy physically — just as you are spiritually.
Reply | Threaded
|

Timchambers
In the OEB, in Rev 2:23-24 it reads:

I will also put her children to death; and all the churches will learn that I am he who ‘looks into people's hearts and souls’; and I will give to each one of you what their life deserves.

The phase for "soul" here in the greek is "kardia" best translated "heart" as most translations do, and we should too. So consider this, which also tweaks some language to be closer to the greek:

I will also strike her children dead. Then all the churches will know that I am the One who searches people's minds and hearts, and I will give to each of you according to your acts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Timchambers
In the OEB, Rev 6:9 reads:

When the Lamb opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been killed for the sake of God's message and for the testimony which they had borne.

Almost all modern translations render "psyche" as "soul" but not all.

The HSBC reads:
When He opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the people slaughtered because of God’s word and the testimony they had.

Unless someone understanding the greek better than I if "ho souls psychē ho" is better rendered "the souls of" - I suggest considering this same direction as the HSCB, but also changing out language to be closer to the Greek:

When he opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the people slaughtered for the sake of God's word and for the testimony which they had.