Reply – Re: Translating "Aionos" as "Eternal" or "of the Ag...
Your Name
Subject
In Reply To
Re: Translating "Aionos" as "Eternal" or "of the Ages"? Or other?
— by Timchambers Timchambers
Hi Martin:

I am not a Greek scholar either, but I am looking them up to try to find the best translation for ""Aionos" - and the discussion I listed above were making the case that the word did not mean "eternal" or "everlasting." But rather "of the age" or "pertaining to the age."  And "age" or "Aion" seems to mean in essence "period of time."

But it does not appear clear exactly how long that was, and seems to have been applied to both long and short periods of time. In all cases those periods of time were not unending, however. So it would seem whatever terms we finalize on should not be either.  To me that would mean "infitnite," "everlasting" or "eternal" are all mistranslations.

I found one more source:

Word Studies in the New Testament, Marvin Vincent, D.D., Baldwin Professor of Sacred Literature at Union Theological Seminary, New York:

"Aion, transliterated aeon, is a period of longer or shorter duration, having a beginning and an end, and complete in itself. Aristotle (peri ouravou, i. 9, 15) said, “The period which includes the whole time of one’s life is called the aeon of each one.” Hence, it often means the life of a man, as in Homer, where one’s life (aion) is said to leave him or to consume away (Il v.685; Od v.160). It is not, however, limited to human life. It signifies any period in the course of the millennium, the mythological period before the beginnings of history. The word has not “a stationary and mechanical value” (De Quincey). It does not mean a period of a fixed length for all cases. There are as many aeons as entities, the respective durations of which are fixed by the normal conditions of the several entities. There is one aeon of a human life, another of the life of a nation, another of a crow’s life, another of an oak’s life. The length of the aeon depends on the subject to which it is attached.…The adjective aionious in like manner carries the idea of time. Neither the noun nor the adjective, in themselves, carry the sense of endless or everlasting. They may acquire that sense by their connotation….Aionios means “enduring through” or “pertaining to a period of time.” Both the noun and the adjective are applied to limited periods….Out of the 150 instances in LXX, [Greek Old Testament] four-fifths imply limited duration. For a few instances, see Gen. xlviii. 4; Num. x. 8; xv. 15; Prov. xxii. 28; Jonah ii.6; Hab. iii. 6; Isa lxi. 17.4"